Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts About Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s ?

Re: Thoughts About Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s ?

I read the review on the TK posted at https://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/tk.html and it seems the biggest challenge with this camera is bellows issues when folding it. I am wondering if it just makes sense to removew the bellows after each use? Anyone have any insight on this approach?

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    I read the review on the TK posted at https://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/tk.html and it seems the biggest challenge with this camera is bellows issues when folding it. I am wondering if it just makes sense to removew the bellows after each use? Anyone have any insight on this approach?
    No, it makes sense to follow the instructions, simple ones, and open and close it properly.

The vast majority of users that had a bellows problem either didn’t have all movements at 0 or/and didn’t unlock the proper locks. That is why there are red and green locks.

Proper open and closing does not abuse the bellows.

Hi Arne, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. I am really happy that you found this thread.

Without the WA bag bellows, will the Schneider 72mm lens work?

I would love to know more about how you are getting a 720mm lens to work on the TKS? I have a Fujinon-C 450mm and the same 600mm, that I would love to be able to use. I assumed with the 20" standard rail and bellows the 450mm lens would be my max?

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    I’ve used a TK45 since 1991, and a TK45s later which is still my main camera. It is very versatile and can handle pretty much anything between a 47mm WA and a 720mm telephoto while still being close to the size of a folder for transport. The WA bellows is needed for wide angle lenses. It’s a little heavier than a wooden folder. If you use it for hiking, the one thing to watch out for is abrasion of the exposed bellows corners (the regular bellows) in the folded position in whatever backpack or box you would be using for transport. That is the main downside compared to a Technika or a wooden folder, but careful packing can take care of it.

Hi Arne, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. I am really happy that you found this thread.

I would love to know more about how you are getting a 720mm lens to work on the TKS? I have a Fujinon-C 450mm and the same 600mm, that I would love to be able to use. I assumed with the 20" standard rail and bellows the 450mm lens would be my max?
    Yes, it would work if you are not using any movements.

There was one photographer in Hawaii that bought one of the very first ones that used it as a handheld camera in the folded position and grafted a grip to it and used the 47mm with the standard bellows.

Larry, you may be able to use the 72mm with regular bellows, not sure about it, but surely without rise or fall, since the bellows will be completely compressed. As for 720mm, the Nikkor T ED is a telephoto, so the bellows extension is less than the focal length.

I had Camera Bellows make me a straight taper bellows and I take it off and put it on each time I use the camera since on the TK45S it takes all of 5 seconds max. When I fold the camera I cut a piece of soft foam that fits in the bellows void. The way I look at it if I make a mistake (which I have been known to do when I am concentrating on making an image) I do not want to have to purchase a $500 new bellows. I call it risk management. If the bellows were not four short flip levels on the top of the camera I would be singing a whole different tune, but fortunately they are.

Thanks Arne, I appreciate the info. I should probably order a set of the WA bellows, to have them on hand anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    Larry, you may be able to use the 72mm with regular bellows, not sure about it, but surely without rise or fall, since the bellows will be completely compressed. As for 720mm, the Nikkor T ED is a telephoto, so the bellows extension is less than the focal length.

That sounds like a pretty good idea to implement, no matter what. Thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I had Camera Bellows make me a straight taper bellows and I take it off and put it on each time I use the camera since on the TK45S it takes all of 5 seconds max. When I fold the camera I cut a piece of soft foam that fits in the bellows void. The way I look at it if I make a mistake (which I have been known to do when I am concentrating on making an image) I do not want to have to purchase a $500 new bellows. I call it risk management. If the bellows were not four short flip levels on the top of the camera I would be singing a whole different tune, but fortunately they are.

Thanks for confirming Bob. I am excited to get the camera in my hands this coming week and get started!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, it makes sense to follow the instructions, simple ones, and open and close it properly.

The vast majority of users that had a bellows problem either didn’t have all movements at 0 or/and didn’t unlock the proper locks. That is why there are red and green locks.

Proper open and closing does not abuse the bellows.

That sounds like a pretty good idea to implement, no matter what. Thanks for sharing this.
    The TK 45 has a double pleated bellows. When Linhof introduced it the Japanese distributor (Shiro) ordered them all with a
    Standard type tapered bellows and did not offer it as a folding camera!