Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts About Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s ?

Re: Thoughts About Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s ?

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    I have never even seen one but from what I have read over the years - be very careful when folding the camera. Go slow and LEARN how to fold it to avoid damage. It is a top of the line camera.
    It is very easy to open and fold. Lock the red levers and unlock the green ones and turn the focusing knob in the indicated direction on the face of the knob. All controls should be set at 0 to open or close it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    https://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/tk.html

Top notch, best of the best: top quality, refined, precise, convenient and durable.

> Weight 6.5Lb is low for being a full featured rail camera.

> it's not a lightweight camera for mountain hikes, you have the number: 6.5Lb

> In the studio it's not an expandable system camera, you have 20" extension (IIRC) that's quite good for 4x5, fully extended it would not be as rigid as a monorail.

Well, it's not a pure field camera nor an expandable system, but one of the best cameras you can buy.
    Fully extended it is a monorail. Stop assuming about products that you haven’t used.

I’ve used a TK45 since 1991, and a TK45s later which is still my main camera. It is very versatile and can handle pretty much anything between a 47mm WA and a 720mm telephoto while still being close to the size of a folder for transport. The WA bellows is needed for wide angle lenses. It’s a little heavier than a wooden folder. If you use it for hiking, the one thing to watch out for is abrasion of the exposed bellows corners (the regular bellows) in the folded position in whatever backpack or box you would be using for transport. That is the main downside compared to a Technika or a wooden folder, but careful packing can take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    I’ve used a TK45 since 1991, and a TK45s later which is still my main camera. It is very versatile and can handle pretty much anything between a 47mm WA and a 720mm telephoto while still being close to the size of a folder for transport. The WA bellows is needed for wide angle lenses. It’s a little heavier than a wooden folder. If you use it for hiking, the one thing to watch out for is abrasion of the exposed bellows corners (the regular bellows) in the folded position in whatever backpack or box you would be using for transport. That is the main downside compared to a Technika or a wooden folder, but careful packing can take care of it.
    We used a large Novoflex lens wrap to protect it in transit.

I had the 6x9 version a few years back and it was a joy to use and to look at. However it was not the best for shooting 6x9 with its small ground glass, the TK45 would be better if you want to shoot 6x9 using the Super Rollex backs. I still have a few Super Rollex's in 6x9 and 6x7 but rarely use them since I am concentrating on 5x7 and larger. If you do want to shoot 6x9 stay away from the brown Super Rollex's and stick to the later black ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Fully extended it is a monorail. Stop assuming about products that you haven’t used.
    Bob, I've used one two weeks ago, not mine, borrowed.

It is true that there is an accessory bar that fits under the camera, and then it becomes well rigid, but the telescoping rail alone is not perfectly rigid at full extension, still in most situations it can be rigid enough without that accessory bar.

....the one thing to watch out for is abrasion of the exposed bellows corners (the regular bellows) in the folded position in whatever backpack or box you would be using for transport.
    One option to avoid bellows damage is to actually remove the bellows before packing it away.

It's only 4 small locking levers, 2 each on the top of the front and rear standards.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    One option to avoid bellows damage is to actually remove the bellows before packing it away.

It's only 4 small locking levers, 2 each on the top of the front and rear standards.

Mike
    True. Alternatively, have the WA bellows on the camera, which is made from cloth. That is what I have been doing a lot.

True. Alternatively, have the WA bellows on the camera, which is made from cloth. That is what I have been doing a lot.
    Arne, off the top of your head do you recall what the maximum extension is for the WA bellows? Neither the instruction manual nor the promotional brochure for the Technikardans has that specification.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Bob, I've used one two weeks ago, not mine, borrowed.

It is true that there is an accessory bar that fits under the camera, and then it becomes well rigid, but the telescoping rail alone is not perfectly rigid at full extension, still in most situations it can be rigid enough without that accessory bar.
    The S version? The front. And rear standards are different and stiffer then the original TK.