Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts About Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s ?

Thoughts About Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s ?

I have an opportunity to pick up a Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s for a very reasonable price and I have never seen this camera in person.

I was wondering if anyone here has any expereience with this camera and can share your thoughts?

I am looking for an all purpose 4x5 that I can use in the studio and also in the field for landscapes, etc.

In theory, this seems like a nice option, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Re: Thoughts About Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s ?

Ask me. It is an ideal camera to use inside and outside.folds to about the size of a book. Opens into a 20” monorail. Full movements, on axis, front and back. Accepts the very widest lenses with the optional bag bellows, once you learn how it opens and closes in under 10 seconds. Geared focusing.

Bob makes it sound like a wonderful can-do-anything camera, and he's right.
    It's a unique, precise and versatile camera to use, with very few drawbacks.

Thank you Bob! I am excited about this camera... Looks like I will be moving forward with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Ask me. It is an ideal camera to use inside and outside.folds to about the size of a book. Opens into a 20” monorail. Full movements, on axis, front and back. Accepts the very widest lenses with the optional bag bellows, once you learn how it opens and closes in under 10 seconds. Geared focusing.

Thanks for confirming Ari. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Bob makes it sound like a wonderful can-do-anything camera, and he's right.
    It's a unique, precise and versatile camera to use, with very few drawbacks.

I've been working in 4x5 since 1982, and have owned several cameras and worked with quite a few more. Wooden field cameras both Japanese and American, Calumets, Sinars, Graflexes, Technikas, and some long forgotten. I have only tried out the TK45 at a trade show or two.
    But if I could justify buying a new camera, the Technikardan 45S would be the one.

Wow... that is huge endorsement Mark. Thanks for confirming...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I've been working in 4x5 since 1982, and have owned several cameras and worked with quite a few more. Wooden field cameras both Japanese and American, Calumets, Sinars, Graflexes, Technikas, and some long forgotten. I have only tried out the TK45 at a trade show or two.
    But if I could justify buying a new camera, the Technikardan 45S would be the one.

I use a Technikardan 45 (not the S) and the biggest difference is the lack of centre indents on the 45.

As has been mentioned, it's a VERY versatile camera. It's not the lightest, but not the heaviest either.

Once you get used to the setup and fold-down, then it becomes second nature.

If you need a camera with a lot of movements that is portable, then you can't go wrong with the TK45S.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    your thoughts?
    https://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/tk.html

Top notch, best of the best: top quality, refined, precise, convenient and durable.

> Weight 6.5Lb is low for being a full featured rail camera.

> it's not a lightweight camera for mountain hikes, you have the number: 6.5Lb

> In the studio it's not an expandable system camera, you have 20" extension (IIRC) that's quite good for 4x5, fully extended it would not be as rigid as a monorail.

Well, it's not a pure field camera nor an expandable system, but one of the best cameras you can buy.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have never even seen one but from what I have read over the years - be very careful when folding the camera. Go slow and LEARN how to fold it to avoid damage. It is a top of the line camera.