Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How to decide for a set of three lenses for a Linhof Technika IV

Re: How to decide for a set of three lenses for a Linhof Technika IV

Ig Nacio, if you have to crop the photo, I assume you mean vignetting as in "no image." This would be because the image circle is not large enough for your film. What I was referring to is better described as "fall-off" and is a loss of light at the edges of wider lenses. This is inherent to non-retrofocus designs common in LF.

I can not tell what you know or don't know about LF, so I must recommend you first read "The Camera" by Ansel Adams, or any of the other books that give a good baseline for LF. That will give you a good bit of info about movements and why you would use them.

Here's what I can tell you. Whenever I shoot architecture, I use front rise a LOT to correct keystoning and get the tops of the buildings in. This is pretty standard. You need a large image circle and a camera that can do front rise, preferably a lot of it. Your Linhof, with a 90mm lens, will allow a bit of front rise but not much - in the later Master, they added a flap on the top of the camera to allow more. This is why a monorail is a better tool. If you use a 75mm, you likely won't be able to use any movements, or a few millimeters. If you want a whole bunch of street in your photo, or a tilted building, that's your choice, but know that is the only option. And a longer lens will work fine, but may not be wide enough of course.

Simply put, if I am going out to shoot architecture, I bring my Toyo GII monorail with Schneider 72mm XL and 90mm XL lenses primarily, and sometimes a Nikkor-SW 120mm just in case I need something longer. Never used much else except a 58mm or 47mm for indoor shots (basically no movements possible with those). The Toyo is a monster but there are lighter options available.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

My first Technika Mod III came with a 135 Symmar lens. This was my only lens until I traded it for a Technika V with 90 and 150 lenses. Now I have the choice of many lenses and would use the following 3, 120 Symmar-S, 150 Apo-Symmar and 210 G-Claron. I found that 90, 75 and 65 wide angles were too difficult to use on the Technika without the flap seen in the Master Technika from 1972.

To add to Corran, a problem that comes up with UWA lenses is that at eye level, it also includes more sidewalks and things at ground level, where front rise would shoot above it... Pros often use a ladder with a camera clamped to the top to rise above that, but impractical for casual shooting...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    My first Technika Mod III came with a 135 Symmar lens. This was my only lens until I traded it for a Technika V with 90 and 150 lenses. Now I have the choice of many lenses and would use the following 3, 120 Symmar-S, 150 Apo-Symmar and 210 G-Claron. I found that 90, 75 and 65 wide angles were too difficult to use on the Technika without the flap seen in the Master Technika from 1972.
    My most used lens for architectural work is a 135mm WF Ektar which has a large IC, but the shutter barely fits on my Tek... It allows for quite some rise, but usually barely makes it fully extended, but just barely...

I suggest a 135mm with a large IC, it's wide, but with plenty of movements, but tends to crop out unnecessary excess...

Steve K

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I'll add, if you aren't going to use movements why bother with LF at all? That's the whole thing. I found them so useful that my most used lens on my D850 is the Nikon 24mm PC-E (shift lens.) Not sure what period you're talking about but cameras from about 1880 on did have movements and photographers certainly used them. My 1890s British field camera has similar movements to my 2010 Chamonix. Also, if wanting to photo like old time photographers why are we talking about modern Copal lenses? I am very interested in historical photography and use period correct lenses and shoot either dry plate (easy) or wet plate (a bit involved.)

Kent in SD
    Mainly because archival purposes. Storing digital files may fail. One can always rescan a negative.
    Why not 35mm. or MF? Yes, I use them, but I also wanted to use larger negatives. I also have to
    say that I have seen a beauty recorded in LF photos (or negatives) that may not always be recorded
    in 35mm and/or MF.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    There's really only a big difference when you start getting down to the wide end--in the middle not so much. A 75mm is noticeably wider than a 90mm, but in practice there isn't much difference between a 150 and 180mm.
    What about "vignetting". I would hate to lose a lot of the negative to vigneting. I see that photoshop can do a lot, but I would appreciate a negative as clean as possible.

Thank you again, kind regards!

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Ig Nacio View Post
    Hi Ken,

What about "vignetting". I would hate to lose a lot of the negative to vigneting. I see that photoshop can do a lot, but I would appreciate a negative as clean as possible.

I scan everything and run it through software. Vignetting is not a problem for me. The center filters are a lot of $$ so software is a no-brainer for me. The biggest thing I don't like about the 75mm is I have virtually no movements with it on my Chamonix 045n. Recessed lens boards are a pain. If I used the lens a lot I would get a bag bellows for it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I have a Super Angulon 75mm 5.6, Fuji NW 125mm, and a 210mm APO Symmar. I wish I could say that this was some kind of well thought out master plan, but basically I bought whatever was available and good value when I had a bit of spare cash! I am a big fan of the Fuji lens. It is small, sharp and because it is a somewhat odd focal length can be picked up cheaply because it less searched for than 135 or 150mm lenses. I think it works very well as a general purpose lens, slightly wide tends to work well for 4x5 and I find easy to visualise shots that fit this focal length. I love my APO Symmar 210mm too. It was my first lens that was really a revelation in its optical quality - it set a benchmark that made all my other lenses across other formats suddenly just 'OK'.

The 75mm lens I have reservations about. It's a late '90's version and has fantastic optical quality but is difficult to use. Recessed lens boards are a pain (even one as big as a Toyo monorail board) and viewing the image from a 75mm on the ground glass is not as easy as with longer focal lengths. the grounglass is dim, you can only really see the centre easily, and checking the corners means looking at the glass from an angle to see what's going on. If you are shooting for fun I wouldn't recommend a 75mm unless you have compelling reasons for using one.

As a starting point I think anything in the 120-135 range coupled with a 210 would be hard to beat. I think you could cover most things with just those two lenses. I would only add a 90 or 75 if you had a very strong reason for doing so.

What you are getting is a bunch of personal opinions that are basically worthless to you unless you do exactly what the posters do.
    The intelligent way to pick your lenses, assuming that you have no large format experience, is to decide what your favorite focal length is on what you currently shoot. See what the horizontal field of view of that lens for that format camera and buy the lens for 45 that has that same horizontal field of view.
    Use that lens for a few months and then see if you would like a lens wider or much wider, longer or much longer. Once you make that choice buy a lens that fits your needs. Then use those 2 lenses for a few months and decide again, wider, much wider, longer or much longer. Then buy the 3rd lens.
    You will save money and tailor what you buy to your needs and desires.

Hi,

Thank you to all of you for your messages : ) !!!

This thread has been very helpful because
    I already know which middle and long lens
    I'll be getting.

It is through your help that I will be doing
    a better and more informed purchase and
    that helps me a lot!

I just need a bit more information in order
    to know which wide angle lens to get.

@Brian (Corran) - But in 35 mm happens the same, doesn't? One uses the wider wide-angle lens available even if things are a bit slanted, (no movement capability in 35mm, remember?). That way one gets more information on the picture. If chosen properly, in 35mm. format, one finds lenses with little or no vignetting at all. Will the 90mm. and/or 75mm. have a strong 'vignetting' using them without any movements?

@linhofbiker - Was there a lot of vignetting present? I am ok if the movements are limited, as long as there is less or no vignetting.

@Steve K (Labrat) - Yes, I'll use a ladder or go on the roof of low buildings. The 135mm. is already in the kit ; ) !!!

@Kent in SD (Two23) - I may live with a 75mm without much movement, but I could hardly live with it if the vignetting is very strong. How strong is vignetting with your 75mm. and no camera movements?? Are recessed lens boards better to keep compact lenses inside the camera? Why you don't like the recessed lens boards? The camera I'll use is a Linhof Technika IV.

@Tobias Key - I'll definitely take a look at the 125mm. lens. Why a 210mm. and not a 180mm.? Have you or anyone you know used both the 180mm. and the 210mm.?
    Why are recessed lens boards a pain to use for you too - (Kent in SD seems not very fond of them too)? Wouldn't recessed boards allow you better to keep compact lenses attached to the camera? Perhaps a sometimes valued feature at the moment of closing and setting up a field camera like the Linhof Technika IV. What would you find compelling enough to add a 90 or 75mm. lens?

@Bob Salomon - Yes, it is a good idea, but because I live quite far away from shops and so, it is perhaps to get at least a couple of lenses. That's why I am very grateful for all the information you and the other members here have given me : ) !!!

Lens design for small format lenses is very different, being generally retrofocus. Vignetting, or fall-off, is a fact of life. Buy a center filter if it's a problem. You are focusing much too much on it though IMO. Plus 75mm lenses will not work well on your Linhof. Get a good 90mm f/8 and get to work, and you'll figure out what you need from there.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome