Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography log/database setup

Re: Photography log/database setup

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    I'm watching this thread with interest.

One thing that occurred to me with the discussions around "cloud" services was the need to be online to update or query the database.

How would you cope when you were outside cell-phone/wi-fi coverage? You would need to record details during the taking phase and find a way to synchronise the datasets once a connection was restored.

Mike
    One way to deal with this would to allow syncing when WiFi is available, and cache the data when a connection is unavailable (or the server is offline, etc). I.e. store it on the phone until the phone is able to connect. I know of quite a few apps that function that way, but don't know how to write an app myself, or even if I need to. The data storage/transfer requirements in this case would be minimal, as it's only a few lines of text.

There might be some other system I can simply re-purpose.

Simple is better.

I still use an old copy of Bento.....hence my interest in this thread.

It synchronises between the iPad and iMac so data integrity is assured......shame it's no longer developed or supported.

I haven't tried it with an iPhone.

Mike

I tried Palm Pilots, phones and my current iPad in the field. I was never satisfied with any of them. I reverted to making paper forms for the field. I use Capture One for editing and cataloging and enter the data for the keepers. I keep the paper forms so I always have the data on everything.

I keep a database on an old Psion 5MX handheld 'computer' - it has a really good database program. I print out each entry and keep it with the corresponding negative in storage. I've been using it so long it's actually a jolly useful search and self-learning tool...! Plus the Psion runs off AA batteries, which last a month or so, making it useful in the field.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I tried Palm Pilots, phones and my current iPad in the field. I was never satisfied with any of them. I reverted to making paper forms for the field. I use Capture One for editing and cataloging and enter the data for the keepers. I keep the paper forms so I always have the data on everything.
    I did try going back to Post-it notes like I used to use, but it wasn't as easy as before, and I want to capture richer data than I used to do. Also, I shoot more often in low or dim lighting than I used to, which makes it difficult to write in the dark. There's no perfect system.

I dictate parameters and settings into video recording of my cellphone which has the added benefit of recording the scene. Then I transfer the info to hard paper when I get home which gets filed eventually with the negatives. This is for 120 film 10 exposures when I'm using Velvia 50. I have the flash guide numbers at bottom. I usually don't use all the info. But it reminds me if I have to do something special.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RB67 Photo Log full rotated with Velvia 50 reciprocity failure.jpg  

Now, that’s an idea.