Thread: Are LF accessories compatible between brands? Looking for a reducing back

Are LF accessories compatible between brands? Looking for a reducing back

I have done a lot of research but have not found the answer to my problem. I have an 5x7 Ebony and need a 4x5 reducing back. Ebony is no longer in business and after a year of keep my eyes open for an original back I am out of luck. My question is whether I can use a reducing back from another company maybe Shenhao, Chamonix, or even something vintage like Deardorff on an Ebony? I don't know if there is some kind of industry standard like for the film holders which will work across all brands. If not then can anyone recommend a shop that can make modifications?

Re: Are LF accessories compatible between brands? Looking for a reducing back

There is no standard for back size. It's conceivable that a "clone" product might fit - for example, some of the Shen-Hao camera designs mimic certain Ebony models. But you'd have to check whether the actual dimensions of the respective backs for a given pair of cameras match closely.

A craftsman like Richard Ritter can do all sorts of adaptations of wooden cameras and their components.

Thanks again for your help. I have sent Richard Ritter an email. I suppose either have one made from scratch or buy a used 8x10 to 4x5 back and then cut it to size.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    Thanks again for your help. I have sent Richard Ritter an email. I suppose either have one made from scratch or buy a used 8x10 to 4x5 back and then cut it to size.

It’s pretty straight forward to modify an 8x10 reduction back to what you need. I modified a Shen Hao 8x10 to 4x10 reduction back to fit a Deardorff V8. It was easy to do and worked great. Any moderately skill woodworker could do it.

The Ebony 5x7 is larger than a lot of other cameras and another 5x7 to 4x5 back is unlikely to fit. A Deardorff will not, for sure.
    Keith Pitman