Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wista 45 RF... or alternative for handheld RF work at open aperture?

Re: Wista 45 RF... or alternative for handheld RF work at open aperture?

The MF RF Horseman is a nice box and I have been trying to assemble all the electronic parts necessary for the imaged kit.

Not easy to find cables or solenoids, but that is a handy handle. I have 2 of them with their really odd attachment method.

One piece at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Those Linhofs are nice but make sure you pay attention to camera shake. Maybe it is the stiff release on my Seiko shutters, but I found I could not hand-hold much below 1/250 with tripod-like results using a mechanical release on my shutters. I found the electric solenoid release almost essential for hand-held 6x9cm work with my lenses and shutters.

Attachment 196906
    Tin Can

I am, for better or worse, a Linhof Super Technika chauvinist. Mine is a model V. Due to a handicap I use a right-hand anatomical grip w/release as well as the left grip w/o release. For handheld RF work I limit myself to the 135mm Planar - I am not steady enough for a longer lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    A quality, proper length cable release shouldn’t create this problem unless it is pulled taut. As that would transmit vibration.
    On the other hand, a solenoid can create vibration when it fires.
    Little things like that set the Linhof apart from its Japanese imitators. I suspect the Linhof release is silky smooth. The Horseman mechanical release attaches to the camera so you push the plunger with your thumb. Probably fine for flash, but I found it almost impossible to do without jerking the camera. The solenoid has almost no mass compared to the rest of the camera. It is pretty tiny compared to the Graflex solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Little things like that set the Linhof apart from its Japanese imitators. I suspect the Linhof release is silky smooth. The Horseman release attaches to the camera so you push the plunger with your thumb. Probably fine for flash, but I found it almost impossible to do without jerking the camera. The solenoid has almost no mass compared to the rest of the camera. It is pretty tiny compared to the Graflex solenoid.
    Back in the 70s and 80s Linhof also had a solenoid release system for the Technikas and the Technorama. It had a battery pack that slipped into the bottom of the grip that had a micro switch that was positioned where the cable release sticks through the grip. A coiled cord went from the battery pack to a solenoid that was mounted to the lensboard and to the shutter.

Very elegant solution but very finicky to work properly all the time!

Originally the Technar was only available with this solenoid system but then they also offered it with just a standard Linhof cable release. Much more reliable that way!

Here is the system on a Technar. If you removed the grip it became a remote control, although limited by the length of the cable.

http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_en/...ku29862-5.html

Didn’t you indicate your RF Horseman used a solenoid release actuated by an electrical momentary switch?

That’s what I seek

The traditional mechanical Horseman cable releases I have are very smooth.

But I really prefer the 4x5 Speed Graphic with the marvelously simple flash handles which attach and detach in a jiffy. Very sturdy also.

Like Jac I need 2 handles for a RF camera even if not using flash.
    Tin Can