Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable release and lens wrap

Cable release and lens wrap

G'day

I would like to know what brands of shutter releases (10 inch) you all recommend for 4x5. I know that I can purchase generic brands for less, so I'd like to know if there is a real quality difference between generic brands and name brands. If there is, please recommend a good name brand. Also, I am looking for good quality lens wraps that will not scratch the elements of my lenses when I wrap the lenses without their caps. Any recommendations? How are the f.64 wraps?

Casey

Abuser of God's Sunlight

in my experience they all break, so i go with the cheap ones. it's simple to leave a short one permanently attached to each lens ... one less thing to fuss with. I put a tab of velcro tape on it and that sticks it to the lensboard, so it doesn't fly around in the wind.

i wouldn't trust a lens wrap to not scratch the lens, because there's no way to be sure it stays completely clean. the softest one in the world will scratch if there's sand on it!

Your lens will get marred if it is capless and wrapped, unless you treat it as though it is naked, which defeats the purpose of the wrap in the first place. Buy some aftermarket caps or make a basic protective cap out of cardboard, then use a lenswrap or multiple rubber bands to keep them in place.

A firmer Gnass Gear or cheap Tupperware case might also be a good idea. it's not like you're shooting like a photojournalist, pulling capless lenses out of your Domke bag while running to the next shoot...

Strangely enough, since I bought a bunch of the fancy Calumet braided-cloth cable releases, I haven't lost any of them, and only one has bent beyond repair. I wrap one around each shutter and keep my lenses (capped) in whatever brand of nylon/velcro wraps. One of those must be 20 years old and the fabric has worn so the velcro doesn't want to hold anymore. Apart from the lots-of-pieces syndrome, it's been an effective way to take care of lenses in the field. The real trouble is keeping lenscaps, especially the oddball sizes the fit the backs of LF lenses.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

They are rather expensive, but I've had nothing but good luck with the Linhof cable releases. Never had one break yet, which I can't say for any of the others I've used. I only wish Linhof made long throw releases for my Ilex #5 shutters .

Paul, I can't give solid advice on shutter releases. I like Gitzo and Minette for no particularly good reason; also the 4" Gepe extension, which I find invaluable with short lenses.

I'm with Frank, most of my lenses live in food storage containers. Dust proof, can be lined with foam, ...

I have one lens that's just too big for a food storage container. 12"/4 Taylor Hobson Telephoto. It travels in a large f64 lens wrap. The wrap is held snugly closed by velcro, seems to exclude dust. The lens has a front cap and the rear element is deeply recessed, so there's not much risk of scratching the glass. I don't care that much about the paint on the barrel, but so far I haven't marred it.

Good luck, have fun,

My wife sewed the end over on some nice soft dish towels (about 6 inches) so my Arca boards cum lens will slip inside. Then, folding the towel over the lens and using some sticky sided velcro to keep it closed I managed to get excellent lens wraps for a fraction of the cost of the 'fancy' ones. However, I should add that my wife is not available for loan.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

I don't know how anyone using technica sized small boards (or toyo or canham) gets away with storing lenses with the cable attached. The rigid section of the cable protrudes outside the perimeter of the board and when you wrap them or put them away, the slightest bump to this section will break the tiny pot metal casting that receives the end of the cable release. A real pain in the ass. I attach the cable whenever I attach a lens to my camera.

I like the Zeiss disc lock style from Gepe. My Gepes will reliably fire my old Ilex Universals and Betax with no problem. I also have a Calumet (made by Minette?) which is very nice but won't fire my old shutters reliably. Works fine on a Copal though. FWIW, I've yet to have a Gepe break. As for lens wraps, I don't use them. Each lens has its own board and caps. Each cap goes in its own zip lock plastic bag then in a padded compartment in my pack or case. I know this sounds ridiculous, but very few of my lenses share the same flange so swapping lenses on one lensboard isn't practical for me.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Gepe is a good brand for sturdyness. I got my first one from some wierd character on that auction site - what's his name, something oriental or Frank P or something like that.

However, not all releases screw into all shutter just right. I become so accustomed to losing cable releases that I bought a few dozen old ones. Went through them all to isolate those that worked best on the Technika (snake around nicely and the nipple fits well), another few for the big #5 shutters (a whole different requirement), and the rest I'm sending back to that Frank guy just for the hellofit. (Hello Fit).