Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glassless Negative Holders

Re: Glassless Negative Holders

I have had no problem keeping my glass negative carrier clean and dust free.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I have had no problem keeping my glass negative carrier clean and dust free.
    Dust it's easy to control, a problem can be newton rings, in special if glass is not perfectly flat...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Dust it's easy to control, a problem can be newton rings, in special if glass is not perfectly flat...
    No problem with Newton ring either.

Eric Woodbury

My 5x7 glassless is similar to the Calumet. Tension is from the differential coefficient of expansion between aluminum and negative bases. My light source is not hot as the new LED light source is about to come online. I have glass carriers galore and no Newton rings. There are no rings if the top plate is a diffuser: in my case a piece of diffuse plexi. Bottom plate is glass I buy at thrift store from picture frames.

I'm going to train little butterflies to hold the corners of the neg in tension. That should work fine.

I saw a ZBE glassless holder on ebay yesterday. I'm not sure if it holds in tension or not. It looks to be a simple compression type, so maybe a little there, maybe not.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

Drew Wiley

The Blackfoot Indians would extend a captive's arms and legs with wet deerhide; as it dried, it would contract and stretch them. Wet deerskin sounds messy in a carrier. But certain Durst pin register carriers have tensioning devices in the corners which can be screwed inwards in order to immobilize the glass at the corners. Unscrewed a bit the opposite direction, if there were one of these in each corner, it could tension the film itself if a punched strip were taped to each side of the film, without risk to the original reg itself. Just a wild idea, but not unrealistic. One must remember that punching the film itself does not always work because acetate films are dimensionally unstable, and pin holes that allow even stretching initially might cause buckling later, due to both acetate film shrinkage over time and seasonal humidity fluctuations. But even polyester film base, which is stable, can suffer with repetitive printing, and the holes themselves becoming deformed or broken through too much stress. The whole point of using a precision punch is for sake of a matched pin glass carrier. But a taped surrogate punched edge could be replaced from time to time. I've got a phD in Jerry-rigging and thinking outside the box when it comes to shop projects, so I don't think I'd have any problem at all designing a completely different kind of tensioning device for a unique carrier distinct from anything mentioned so far; I just don't have any incentive to do so. I'm with glass all the way.

I finally figured out what this part is (that came with a random pile of parts from my newly acquired Durst 184). It's a glassless negative carrier!

Have any of you seen something like this? Who made it? I will have to fabricate a carrier for it so that I can insert it into my Durst Laraneg or Condit 10 x 10 negative carriers.

Attachment 197687
    Attachment 197688