Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pin registration system preferences

Re: Pin registration system preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    What kind of gibberish is that, Pere? All the spacing has to precisely align regardless - punch, pin glass, pins on carrier, if a registered carrier is involved.
    Drew, this is funny, lets go...

If the "registered bottom glass" moves this is irrelevant, the single thing that's important is that the negative and the mask are precisely aligned by the register, the position of the top and bottom glass is irrelevant if the negative/masks are kept aligned, weren't you aware?

I wonder how much of these "done" snake oil projects you've ever actually undertaken.

Drew, don't get angry, man.

I'm working hard to control BW printing with digital CAST masking on LF negatives...

You have not participated in this thread: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-curve-control

Also let me explain that this proofing tool https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ation-software is ready for action. By now I can predict the density of any spot in the sandwich and, since last weekend, also on the paper.

Now I'm working to sucesfully proof CAST masks, I advance at good pace in that.

This is not snake oil... "if" one day you try a CAST mask you will be aware.

Drew... look, I virtually bend the paper curve like I want...

Drew Wiley

Well, I'm glad you're having fun and finding a technique applicable to your own intentions. But you're into zonal masking, not precision image alignment by any means. The original question by Interneg was in reference to matched color separations; and all hell breaks loose if everything during that kind of procedure is not precisely aligned to begin with. And that's far easier to accomplish using classic punch and register film gear than via scan and post-alignment options, though I do know an electrical engineer who designed a pin-registered film recorder, and it takes real 8x10 film; but that's way beyond the skill level of most of us to make.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Does it specify whether the bench/ wall models have a different (narrower) spacer casting between the neg stage and the column runner compared to the floor standing model?

I'll possibly ask Kienzle - they supply glass for the various Leitz Focomat II enlargers that use quite a thick piece of glass in their carriers. I'd be interested to know what the minimum quantity needed to get a suitable glass made would be - mainly because I suspect Condit made use of a suitable product already on the market rather than having the glass completely custom made.
    No, but the conversion kit doesn’t include one, so the spacing must be the same. I believe the bench model has a baseboard just as deep as the floor model, but not as wide. I may be wrong as I have not seen a bench model in person.

The original question by Interneg was in reference to matched color separations; and all hell breaks loose if everything during that kind of procedure is not precisely aligned to begin with. And that's far easier to accomplish using classic punch and register film gear than via scan and post-alignment options
    Of course...

Anyway for color separations the important thing is that the sheets have to be well registered, if the top ANR glass is moved 0.5mm left or right... this is irrelevant, as it's transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    No, but the conversion kit doesn’t include one, so the spacing must be the same. I believe the bench model has a baseboard just as deep as the floor model, but not as wide. I may be wrong as I have not seen a bench model in person.
    I've solved the mystery as far as I can tell - the neg stage spacer casting on the cream painted machines seems to be shorter than that of the 504/507 etc, but the grey/ black painted machines use a similar casting to the 504/507 for the neg stage spacer and a longer lens stage spacer to centre the lens about 3.5" further out - which seems reasonable to me if you're regularly making really big prints, especially in the 32x40" range. From what I've seen, the bench model had a baseboard about the same as all the other 5-series De Veres - 24x24".

I can see that it is reasonable that the 5108 is longer than the smaller models, and it also seems reasonable that the floor model and bench model of the 5108 would be identical so that parts are interchangeable.

Drew Wiley

I just noticed that Heiland is introducing a film punch and register system, but haven't looked at the details, just the picture of the gear.

I just noticed that Heiland is introducing a film punch and register system, but haven't looked at the details, just the picture of the gear.
    That was partly what spurred me on with this thread - and in the picture it does look like the Durst carrier has drilled glasses. That said, I think I'll probably start with something more along the lines of what Inglis came up with - ie pins just at the edge of the glass & accept a very small image area loss in return for a much more straightforward build. Do you happen to know roughly what the diameter of the body of the Condit pins was?

Pere's 'system' appears to be nothing more than the age-old delusion that acquiring darkroom printing ability is just one technological crutch away. Many companies sold all kinds of heavily marketed whiz-bang devices to do the same sort of things & none were or are as good as a well trained set of eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I can see that it is reasonable that the 5108 is longer than the smaller models, and it also seems reasonable that the floor model and bench model of the 5108 would be identical so that parts are interchangeable.
    The interchangeability is mixed... There's a pretty big re-configuration to go from wall/ bench to floor standing or vice versa - essentially the pulleys inside need re-strung differently. Would you be able to measure the width of the spacer casting? I can pm a picture of the part I need the dimensions of if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post

Pere's 'system' appears to be nothing more than the age-old delusion that acquiring darkroom printing ability is just one technological crutch away. Many companies sold all kinds of heavily marketed whiz-bang devices to do the same sort of things & none were or are as good as a well trained set of eyes.
    Interneg, your are not well informed:

Look, in practice I control the paper curve like I want, beyond grade I easily control toe/shoulder extensions and gradients, this is before burning/dodging/etc.

PD: take a look... https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-curve-control
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 23-Oct-2019 at 07:09.