Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pin registration system preferences

Re: Pin registration system preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The original question by Interneg was in reference to matched color separations; and all hell breaks loose if everything during that kind of procedure is not precisely aligned to begin with. And that's far easier to accomplish using classic punch and register film gear than via scan and post-alignment options
    Of course...

Anyway for color separations the important thing is that the sheets have to be well registered, if the top ANR glass is moved 0.5mm left or right... this is irrelevant, as it's transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    No, but the conversion kit doesn’t include one, so the spacing must be the same. I believe the bench model has a baseboard just as deep as the floor model, but not as wide. I may be wrong as I have not seen a bench model in person.
    I've solved the mystery as far as I can tell - the neg stage spacer casting on the cream painted machines seems to be shorter than that of the 504/507 etc, but the grey/ black painted machines use a similar casting to the 504/507 for the neg stage spacer and a longer lens stage spacer to centre the lens about 3.5" further out - which seems reasonable to me if you're regularly making really big prints, especially in the 32x40" range. From what I've seen, the bench model had a baseboard about the same as all the other 5-series De Veres - 24x24".

Drew Wiley

I just noticed that Heiland is introducing a film punch and register system, but haven't looked at the details, just the picture of the gear.

I just noticed that Heiland is introducing a film punch and register system, but haven't looked at the details, just the picture of the gear.
    That was partly what spurred me on with this thread - and in the picture it does look like the Durst carrier has drilled glasses. That said, I think I'll probably start with something more along the lines of what Inglis came up with - ie pins just at the edge of the glass & accept a very small image area loss in return for a much more straightforward build. Do you happen to know roughly what the diameter of the body of the Condit pins was?

Pere's 'system' appears to be nothing more than the age-old delusion that acquiring darkroom printing ability is just one technological crutch away. Many companies sold all kinds of heavily marketed whiz-bang devices to do the same sort of things & none were or are as good as a well trained set of eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I can see that it is reasonable that the 5108 is longer than the smaller models, and it also seems reasonable that the floor model and bench model of the 5108 would be identical so that parts are interchangeable.
    The interchangeability is mixed... There's a pretty big re-configuration to go from wall/ bench to floor standing or vice versa - essentially the pulleys inside need re-strung differently. Would you be able to measure the width of the spacer casting? I can pm a picture of the part I need the dimensions of if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post

Pere's 'system' appears to be nothing more than the age-old delusion that acquiring darkroom printing ability is just one technological crutch away. Many companies sold all kinds of heavily marketed whiz-bang devices to do the same sort of things & none were or are as good as a well trained set of eyes.
    Interneg, your are not well informed:

Look, in practice I control the paper curve like I want, beyond grade I easily control toe/shoulder extensions and gradients, this is before burning/dodging/etc.

PD: take a look... https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-curve-control
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 23-Oct-2019 at 07:09.

Drew Wiley

Pere - you're simply barking up the wrong tree on this thread. I thought you already posted a separate thread on your plan for zonal masking. Here we're talking about pin registration devices for actual film, in order to accomplish a somewhat different objective. Pan film can be used not only for gradiant masking, but for very detailed hue corrections as well as precise color separations etc. Different subject.

Drew Wiley

Interneg - micro-pins on earlier Condit gear varied a bit (I'm talking in the thousandths), but we're specified as 1/16 inch. In later decades the quality control was quite consistent, and I find precise 1.5 mm diameter pins to be a more suitable substitute matched to later punches.

Pere - you're simply barking up the wrong tree on this thread. I thought you already posted a separate thread on your plan for zonal masking. Here we're talking about pin registration devices for actual film, in order to accomplish a somewhat different objective. Pan film can be used not only for gradiant masking, but for very detailed hue corrections as well as precise color separations etc. Different subject.

Drew, if you read well you'll see that I was answering a direct interpelation made by the OP.

Selective digital masks are also often registered, and they can have a remarkable USM effect depending on diffusion. Also many of the masks you are considering for registering are also zonal, in particular HLM and SCIM types.

Take this with humor: let's see what's barking an entire forest, more than a tree, a whole Yosemite : https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1518383 Not complaing at all, but the counter !! realy funny !!!
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 24-Oct-2019 at 02:49.

Drew Wiley

Pere - barking up the wrong tree is a figure of speech - it's when a dog is sitting there looking up a tree and barking, but the squirrel is actually in a different tree. The original question of this thread was concerning color separation negatives and how to precisely register them - and those aren't meant to be diffused !!!!!!!! Unsharp masking might be employed in a supplementary sense; but your method is useless for the stated application itself. It is also incapable of very fine detail control color-wise. A completely different ballgame. You apparently have b&w VC printing in mind.