Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kodak Tmax RS developer formula

kodak Tmax RS developer formula

Where can I find out Kodak tmax rs developer formula so I can make it by myself? It looks like kodak tmax rs developer was DISCONTINUED by Kodak. BH is no longer ship them to buyers, store pick up only.

Re: kodak Tmax RS developer formula

I don't think you can. It's a proprietary product. The MSDS probably will give some general clues.

Quote Originally Posted by tax888 View Post
    It looks like kodak tmax rs developer was DISCONTINUED by Kodak. BH is no longer ship them to buyers, store pick up only.
    It looks that the 50L version can be shiped: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...plenisher.html

With sheets you may try regular "non RS" TMAx deveveloper. It is not recommended in the datasheet for sheets because it may provocate dichroic fog in the sheets. It looks that this only happens with some kinds of tap water, so if you get dichroic fog with in sheets with (non RS) TMax then you may use some mineral water or distilled water to make the working solution.

i found these guys when b&h stopped shiping alot of darkroom chemicals. give them a call?

https://www.uniquephoto.com/kodak-t-...1-gall-8446163

UNIQUE PHOTO SUPERSTORE
    123 US Hwy 46 (West)
    Fairfield, NJ 07004
    1-800-631-0300

I once switched to non-RS TMax developer for sheet film due to difficulties getting RS. Even with distilled water I somehow managed to get dichroic fogging.....YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    i found these guys when b&h stopped shiping alot of darkroom chemicals. give them a call?

https://www.uniquephoto.com/kodak-t-...1-gall-8446163

UNIQUE PHOTO SUPERSTORE
    123 US Hwy 46 (West)
    Fairfield, NJ 07004
    1-800-631-0300
    I emailed Unique Photo Superstore to see if they would be restocking the Kodak Tmax RS developer to make the 1 gallon size and was told that it had been discontinued. Freestyle states it has been discontinued on their website. I've used Tmax RS for all the developing for my Tmax sheet film and that smaller bottle that makes the 1 gallon sure was convenient. The larger size bottles would probably expire before I could use it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Kearns View Post
    I emailed Unique Photo Superstore to see if they would be restocking the Kodak Tmax RS developer to make the 1 gallon size and was told that it had been discontinued. Freestyle states it has been discontinued on their website. I've used Tmax RS for all the developing for my Tmax sheet film and that smaller bottle that makes the 1 gallon sure was convenient. The larger size bottles would probably expire before I could use it all.
    TMax RS keeps a long time in my experience if it is kept in full bottles. I had the big double bottle version some years ago when I could get a really good deal on it. I refilled it into smaller glass bottles filled to the brim, and used it over three years. Never had a problem even after the three years. And I just ordered another set of the large bottles to do the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Kearns View Post
    I The larger size bottles would probably expire before I could use it all.
    Adding to what Arne pointed.

Even in the case you cannot use it all, still the large ammount has a 25% discount, compared, so even in the case you can spend only the half you would have a not that large cost increase.

If you plan a long shelf storage then you should perform a "drop test" on film ends, by (lights open) allowing to fall a drop every minute on a film end and later fixing you have an strength reference. Then you repeat that test over time to see if strength changed, you may correct development time or chem concentration to keep consistence, and you won't ruin sheets.

By placing the compared strips with the drop test on a light table you will see what you have to do, but also you may scan the strips alongside (reference and last) to see the gray levels in the different "drops", to compare numerically if you want.

I've been in communication with Tim Ryugo, the Pro Film Marketing Manager at Kodak Alaris, about the inability to find the Kodak Tmax RS Developer & Stabilizer to make 1 US gallon. The long and short of it is that Kodak Alaris is currently out of stock in the smaller 1 gallon size but they have the larger 2x25L Tmax RS developer size in stock. Tim has asked that it be ordered from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, Tim couldn't give any date Kodak Alaris would receive and said it may take months for it to be filled.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hudson View Post
    I once switched to non-RS TMax developer for sheet film due to difficulties getting RS. Even with distilled water I somehow managed to get dichroic fogging.....YMMV
    Hi Phil
    That's because the non rs formula is not made for sheet film. Back when tmax developer came out I was directed by someone at the Kodak pro help line to use the non rs developer by mistake
    and it didn't give me dichroic fogging right away but only after about a box of film, and sadly when I was using it for a job. The good folks at Kodak told me to toss the film and denied ever telling me to use the developer
    it was a real lovely situation... I'm local so I called Paul Krot at Sprint Systems and he had me mix farmer's reducer using his fixer and putting the film back in my hangers and soaking the sheets 1 at a time until the fog was eaten away.
    if you still have fog on your sheets ( and didn't toss them as I was directed to do ) its worked OK. I think the formula I was told was 1 plastic 35mm can of ferri +1Lof water, and 2+8 of Sprint Speed Fix..
    The funny thing is, it was kodak's own farmer's reducer packets I was told to buy, and kodak's finest didn't even know to use it. In the end i have never used their tmax or rs developer ever again, and I never missed it.
    I still use Sprint Chemistry when I don't use Coffee Based stuff and Ansco 130. Their developer is formulated in a way that when you develop for extended amounts of time
    it doesn't block up your highlights, and their fixer is fantastic. Paul and Marlaine at Sprint are the nicest people I have ever met.
    Last edited by jnantz; 9-Aug-2023 at 10:04.