Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My trip for fall colors

Re: My trip for fall colors

That's a fine image, Vaughn, as are yours Sandy's new carbon transfer book!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks -- my copy should be heading my way...I am looking forward to seeing it!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Nice picture. As long as you anchor properly, your foot print damage shouldn't really be any more damaging than your foot prints. But I have yet to try that. I routinely photograph when it is windy. The Grand Canyon is a prime example. It is always windy. I just need to not leave the camera unattended when it is windy or there is possibility of wind.

Ben Horne made a video about tying down a tripod since he had the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Synopsis of my trip to Crested Butte this week. Images to follow soon.

First had t I use my dslr for a light meter as my light meters were being calibrated. Ok. So, I just get my 4x5 back after repairs from being blown over by a rogue wind. This afternoon, I was photographing an awesome valley in Colorado when I turned to get a another lens. I hear a thud and turned to see camera on ground again. Dented gg holder and got dirt every where. Although, most of the damage is cosmetic one piece may need to be replaced. I think it was from last time though.

Cleaned up, proceeded to take picture. While composing, I went to use front tilt and it was taking a lot and not focusing right. Everything is parallel, etc.

Tried some real back tilt instead and everything came to focus as planned. I was thinking wth! Then I realized the valley was actually well below me and sloping up to mountains. In a weird way that makes sense now.

But still, blown over by a wind twice in a row!? Maybe I should take up needle point, not. I never give up. God is trying to teach me something. I must not be hearing yet.

Disassembled camera, nothing damaged except for some cosmetic stuff. The bed is delaminating a tad, but that is a different story. I seem to have escaped a catastrophe ��

So, the end of my trip was not bad for not shooting in 2 months. Had one sheet ended up on outside of darkslide when I put back in after shot. Kinda surprised as I check each holder as I put film in by removing and reinserting each slide at time of film load. Only other casualty was I partially pulled back a slide exposing about a 1/4 in of exposed film. Mean I probably lost about third of a heet overall. This trip I took 2 frames of each scene. My 6th sense told me to do that.
    I've had my 5x4 go over twice in the wind - with varying degrees of mishap.

I now carry a bungee strap which I attach to the underside of the tripod and use my camera bag as ballast.

I'm sure it isn't going to cope with every situation - but it copes with strong wind gusts.

Martin