Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinhole recommendation

Pinhole recommendation

Any recommendations for a supplier of excellent pinholes, preferably in the UK or Europe?

I mean the pinhole in a piece of foil, rather than a pinhole camera. I believe quality can vary quite a lot.

(Yes, I know they are easy to make, how to do it etc but would rather purchase a couple ready-made from someone who is really good at it )

Many thanks!

Re: Pinhole recommendation

I've bought a number of pinholes from an eBay vendor called fireseller66. They've all been very good quality and reasonably priced.

I bought mine from the pinhole-shop on ebay. They are in Germany. No affiliation but I'm happy with what I got.

It is not really foil but a rather sturdy material.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I have bought these, not an auction.

High quality

Make sure you order the right size for the format size.
    Tin Can

I have bought laser-drilled pinholes from fireseller66 as well and they are quite excellent. I have also bought directly from the guy that makes the Reality so Subtle cameras in France (James Guerin) and his are also excellent (and seem to be a bit better engineered for long-term survival, IMO)

I like that James sells 5 for 20 eu including shipping WW

Also going to his flickr

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I have bought laser-drilled pinholes from fireseller66 as well and they are quite excellent. I have also bought directly from the guy that makes the Reality so Subtle cameras in France (James Guerin) and his are also excellent (and seem to be a bit better engineered for long-term survival, IMO)
    Tin Can

Thierry Gonidec, in Brittany (France):

http://s192257538.onlinehome.fr/sten...a/Accueil.html
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

The optimal holes for LF are (in general) larger than for smaller formats, so way easier to DIY.

I fact, with not many skills one makes a good LF pinhole in 10min. With pinhole calculator get the optimal size for your intended focal.

First make a hole in the plate that is smaller than the one you want, with with an electric tool perhaps.

Then take a drill bit 3x larger than the required hole and by hand enlarge the hole until the aperture in the other side is growing, this ensures that your hole is conic.

Use the drill bit by hand until the openning is close the right size, also use it in the other side a bit to have an smooth openning.

Use a needle (measure the needle it with a cheapo $10 digital caliper) of the right size to see when the hole has the right size.

Then polish the aperture edge in the hole the best you can to avoid diffraction. Rotating the needle inside inside the hole with an electric tool, with some polishing cream, makes a perfect job. Inspect it with a powerful magnifier.

I rotate the drill bit by hand but I place it in the electric tool that is in an stand, so the drill bit is always perpendicular to the plate.

Beyond the caliper, you may need a $10 drill bits kit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51UqlDOZV3L._SL1200_.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	196418

But you may make many hole sizes with it. You may start purchasing a single commercial pinhole and also making your DIY ones to compare. You may find many techniques explained around, beyond this one...

If you practice pinhole photo you will need different sizes, and perhaps you may make simple metal (cookie) box cameras and you may want to make the holes in the box itself, nothing aganist commercial holes, but making the own holes it can be worth, at the end it's about making a well done hole!

Very interesting and readable site with instant translation.

I am interested in Zone Plates

I'll be in touch soon

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    Thierry Gonidec, in Brittany (France):

http://s192257538.onlinehome.fr/sten...a/Accueil.html
    Tin Can

Thanks everyone for the very useful suggestions - as usual this has opened up all sorts of tangents, forks in the road etc.