Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Re: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    Funny, this has reminded me that long ago in NY I asked to a B&H seller for a 4x5 camera. He seriously looked at me and said: "Hmmm, I don't understand you... What is a 4x5 camera? Maybe you want to mean a 5x4 (emphasis) camera, isn't it???"
    In the US, people name it this way, while in e.g., Europe, many people used to call them a 9x12 camera (note the smaller side first) most of the times followed by a tag line, "... well... or 4x5 (small side first) which is the same thing" (which obviously is not!).
    (Excuse me... I'm going over old times once again... )
    In Europe, or wherever the metric system is used, it's actually also known as 10x12 (cm), you can also read it on the label of some film packages such as Kodak's.
    Though, many LF photographers including me still prefer to call it 4x5.

Perhaps OP ? is actually

Are 4X5 and 5X4 the same

They are, but typically the ratio IS reversed to show EU and USA sourcing

3X4 nominal is different and usually shorthand for 3-1/4 X 4-1/4. 'Nominal' usage is very confusing. I hate the word often used by engineers to sound like they know something we don't. I used to teach engineers real world applications.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/nominal
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    Thanks for providing probably the most unhelpful reply I’ve received it several years of using this forum!

Let’s hope someone with some useful and informative feedback replies...
    Fortunately you got the best answer right off the bat.

Taking into consideration the film's rebate is not needed in this instance. A bigger challenge, but not difficult, will be matching up the view of the DSLR with the lens of the view camera. Do DSLRs viewfinders 'see' 100% of what goes hits the sensor...or is it less as in the film SLRs? (Which also changed with brand/model of SLRs)
    Last edited by Vaughn; 10-Oct-2019 at 12:12.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks for providing probably the most unhelpful reply I’ve received it several years of using this forum!

Let’s hope someone with some useful and informative feedback replies...
    Maybe you could explain why 4:5 isn't the answer? is it the masking of the film edges by the film holder? If not, what are you taking into account that would change the ratio of a 4x5 camera to something other than its stated ratio?

Hi all,

Quick question, I’m using a 35mm dslr and iPad to do lighting tests before using my large format cameras.

Obviously the frame proportion is different on the 35mm dslr so I wanted to set the cropping function on my camera/iPad.

Could someone please let me know the aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4 (I imagine they’re both the same??). I’ve tried 3:4 and 4:5 and both look promising but it’d be good to know which is correct. Thanks
    You might find these two brief articles helpful:

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    3X4 nominal is different and usually shorthand for 3-1/4 X 4-1/4. 'Nominal' usage is very confusing. I hate the word often used by engineers to sound like they know something we don't. I used to teach engineers real world applications.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/nominal
    Seems like a perfect example of defintion #3. No?

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
    Maybe you could explain why 4:5 isn't the answer? is it the masking of the film edges by the film holder? If not, what are you taking into account that would change the ratio of a 4x5 camera to something other than its stated ratio?
    I didn’t say it wasn’t the right answer, I said it was unhelpful. It assumed the answer was obvious, the very fact I asked the question illustrated it wasn’t obvious to me, so the answer was dumb, as dumb as replying ’duh’ in a post. What is this obsession with ’duh’? It’s not actually a word, it merely illustrates ignorance, as does referring to 10x8 as 8x10 as this post has illustrated.

The basic and fundamental purpose of forums is supposed to be the sharing of knowledge, the original response to my question had none of that, it illustrated ignorance alone.

Perhaps you can explain why you didn't think 4x5 or 8x10 film had an aspect ratio of 4:5. That continues to be fairly obvious unless one wants to really split hairs about a couple extra millimeters from the film holder blockage. And I doubt many would say the aspect ratio was 23:30 or something like that.

PS: I didn't say 'duh.'
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

And it goes both ways -- one who asks the question has to be willing to take the answers graciously...a difficult task at times. But your question asks about ratios, you seemed to have had some understanding of ratios from the way you asked the question, but the question itself belied that assumed knowledge. That led to a unsatisfactory answer for you. A more straight forward answer would have been, "4:5 is the ratio of the film's format and that is what you should set on your computer/camera/whatever." But that answer was heavily implied by the answer you received and the poster was hoping to point you in that direction, rather than lead you by the nose.

Have you thought about getting the lens of the DSLR to match the 4x5's lens yet? I suppose a side-by-side comparison would be the quick and easy way to go, with a zoom lens on the DSLR camera making it even easier.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    And it goes both ways -- one who asks the question has to be willing to take the answers graciously...a difficult task at times. But your question asks about ratios, you seemed to have had some understanding of ratios from the way you asked the question, but the question itself belied that assumed knowledge. That led to a unsatisfactory answer for you. A more straight forward answer would have been, "4:5 is the ratio of the film's format and that is what you should set on your computer/camera/whatever." But that answer was heavily implied by the answer you received and the poster was hoping to point you in that direction, rather than lead you by the nose.

Have you thought about getting the lens of the DSLR to match the 4x5's lens yet? I suppose a side-by-side comparison would be the quick and easy way to go, with a zoom lens on the DSLR camera making it even easier.
    Yes, thank you Vaughn.

Regarding the DSLR lens - if one wants the same view, divide the ~96mm short end of 4x5 by the 24mm short end of the DSLR sensor (that's on full-frame, if APS-C then 16mm) and then divide your 4x5 lens of choice by that number to get your equivalent focal length.

So if you have a 150mm lens on your 4x5, divide that by [96/24] to get 37.5mm (or 25mm if on APS-C). So roughly a 35mm lens on full-frame or 24mm lens on APS-C would be the same once set to 4:5.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome