Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Re: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You seem to be disagreeing with yourself. Why? On the one hand you say "...I can;t really previsualize a crop very well..." I agree. If I'm shooting 4:3, and just try to get everything in there for later cropping to 16:9, it often won;t work. Tops and bottoms get cut off and suddenly I find my subject without shoes. Sure you can shoot wide angle to catch more of the scene so it can be cropped properly later. But wide angle has its own distortions. Additionally, I tend to just take the first shot figuring I caught everything I need for later adjustments. Then I find I was standing in the wrong place. That I caught stuff I didn't want or from the wrong angle, problems that you would have noticed if you shot at the format you intend to use later. Trust yourself. Getting it right in the camera, is the right approach.

Nikon should give us these alternative aspect ratios in the camera for another reason. Why should a camera company make software companies richer? Why give them the edge? Why cede technology to the Adobes of the world? Leica has a B/W digital camera that only shoots BW. I believe they;re coming out with another BW only with around 46mb or more. They're not ceding to the PS's who can change color shots to BW. They're charging $5000+ for a BW camera only and people are lining up for it. Damn the software companies is their motto.
    What I'm pointing out is the ironic selectivity of what they put in digital cameras today.

On one hand, there're relatively simple technology that would help me make a run time creative decision, on which manufacturers are just weirdly rigid or arbitrary. This includes things like aspect ratio.

On the other hand, they routinely throw in automation that directly minimizes the need to make a decision. A D750 will bracket up to 9 frames, so you don't even need to get exposure right.

I love digital, but sometimes I find the set of features on a camera to be arbitrary. They'll do an HDR merge in the camera now, but if I want an exact 6x7 crop I have to bring it into Lightroom. I'm much more likely to do the crop than the HDR. Heck, I can already crop in camera post exposure. Just let me set the aspect ratio the way I want for shooting.

Here's a purely neutral response to the OP with no subtle, implied or overt commentary:

An aspect ratio can be expressed in several ways.

As the number of measured units in length to the number of measured units in width. Therefore, a 10x8 (inch) negative or print has an aspect ratio of 10:8.

However, some people like to express ratios as the smallest possible whole number on both sides of the colon. In this case, 10:8 is the same aspect ratio as 5:4.

Then again, some people like to express ratios as the number "1" to the left of the colon, in relation to a decimal (or fraction). Therefore 5:4 would be the same aspect ratio 1:0.8

If the numbers on either side of the colon are reversed, an aspect ratio of 10:8 becomes 8:10; a ratio of 5:4 becomes 4:5, but a ratio of 1:0.8 becomes 1:1.25.
    I dream in black and white.

For a different view on the question discussed in this thread, see the November 2021 thread Masking a Ground Glass for Cinema Aspect Ratios

See, in particular, the first post and then post #4 and following. The table attached to post #4 shows aspect ratio applied for the practical purpose of scaling.

I don't see the point of saying that the aspect ratio of a 4x5 sheet of film is 4:5 and of an 8x10 sheet is 8:10 unless one is just being descriptive. I think that it's more useful to express the aspect ratio at its most reduced. This makes clear the commonality of 4x5 and 8x10. I also prefer to express the long side first, which is invariably how it's done for cinema/video and computer displays. As far as I'm concerned, the aspect ratio of 5x4 and 10x8 is 1.25:1. I can do practical things with that ratio, starting with comparing these two film formats and their aspect ratio to others. In the thread above, see the table attached to post #4 and the photograph attached to post #7.
    Last edited by r.e.; 1-Dec-2021 at 16:49.

This "discussion" clearly illustrates why the Palestinian-Israeli situation will never be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    This "discussion" clearly illustrates why the Palestinian-Israeli situation will never be resolved.
    Why? Leaving aside the original post, almost all of the 72 posts before my post #73 either disagree with me or suggest that I'm being eccentric. I appear to be in a minority of one, although I think that I'm just talking common sense

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    In the spirit of this warped and twisted thread: Why pick on that situation?
    Look how badly this thread derailed by itself, in the absence of religion or personal/communal history.

Bryan's answer was sufficient and correct, this needn't have gone farther than post #2.
    Not his fault the OP was thick as a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Bryan's answer was sufficient and correct, this needn't have gone farther than post #2.
    Not his fault the OP was thick as a brick.
    I think that the original post raised a perfectly good question that deserved a proper answer, not dismissal. I guess I'm thick as a brick too. Nevertheless, I'm happy to reiterate what I say in post #73 and in the linked thread

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

The question was asked 2 years ago. The OP's last visit here was March. I think this thread has served his purpose (and much more). Unless the Hatfields and McCoys want to keep feuding.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I think that the original post raised a perfectly good question that deserved a proper answer, not dismissal. I guess I'm thick as a brick too. Nevertheless, I'm happy to reiterate what I say in post #73 and in the linked thread
    That's my point, it wasn't a dismissal, it was a simple and straightforward answer to a simple question.
    The OP took personal offense to, or felt slighted by, Bryan's answer. Maybe he was hoping for a longer, more in-depth discussion?

Drew Wiley

Do we want to get into the aspect ratio of the Greek golden mean? They certainly understood esthetic decisions. A long knotted string might have been all they needed to determine it. But the internet was seemingly invented in the first place to make things unnecessarily complicated during cabin fever sessions. The Hatfields and McCoys have both a first and second amendment right to keep on feuding ... Just so it's not around here. Just took a picture yesterday of the remains of a neighbor's front of the house following a recent firecracker incident. Had a nice Zone 1 char on the front door, and all around that.