Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Re: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I don't develop my own film, but send it out. So, I'm wondering. How do you develop 8x10 film in a 10x8 tray? Do you do half first than the other half? Or do you rotate the tray?
    One doesn't -- for even tray development, sheet film should be processed in trays at least the next size up. So you can do the 8x10 sheets in a 14x11 tray with no problems.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    So you can do the 8x10 sheets in a 14x11 tray with no problems.
    10x8 too! You can even do them together in the same tray.

I always buy 8x10 labeled film. Once I got some 10x8 film which I will never do again. I was able to get it into my 8x10 film holders by rotating the film holders 90 degrees, and fortunately my Shen-Hao has a rotating back, so I was able to slide the film holders in from the top to take pictures. However, when it came to processing the film, I found out the film was 2 inches too wide to roll up and fit into my 3005 Jobo Expert drum...

I also ran into the same issue as the original poster, my iPhone only has 4:5 aspect ratio for checking composition! The phone won't show 5:4!!

Another wrinkle in the subject matter, when trying to match the field of view and/or aspect ration between a 4x5 and/or 5x4 camera to the view thru the viewfinder of a DSLR the image recorded on the DSLR's sensor may be different, usually larger. My Sony A850's viewfinder shows about 95% of the sensors image whereas the Sony A900 had a 100% viewfinder. Most DSLR viewfinders are not 100% as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    Another wrinkle in the subject matter, when trying to match the field of view and/or aspect ration between a 4x5 and/or 5x4 camera to the view thru the viewfinder of a DSLR the image recorded on the DSLR's sensor may be different, usually larger. My Sony A850's viewfinder shows about 95% of the sensors image whereas the Sony A900 had a 100% viewfinder. Most DSLR viewfinders are not 100% as far as I know.
    Since you only see 95% of the scene, what do you do with the white borders that are left?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Since you only see 95% of the scene, what do you do with the white borders that are left?
    Since the image formed by the pentaprism is less than that recorded by the sensor there is no white border only a little more image field recorded at the sensor. So what you see is not completely what you get, unless of course you are using a DSLR with 100% viewfinder like the Sony A900.

Most "pro-sumer" and higher digital cameras these days have 100% viewfinders. And you still see what you get on the screen after shooting on those older/lesser models, or in live view mode. If it is that much of a concern, one could factor in the % in their calculations of equivalencies.

Regarding the original question, I'm honestly not sure why one needs perfect 100% equivalency for lighting tests though. There's always the ground-glass and modeling lights...or perhaps some Instax?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I was wondering how this thread went on for six pages.

Now I know.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

I'm still wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    I was wondering how this thread went on for six pages.

Now I know.
    Lets go on ... really a nice theme ...to talk about aspect ratio(s)....
    Well I don't have the film for my full plate camera yet (and probably won't get it in the near future) but I - think - I like the aspect ratio of full (whole) plate the best.....
    ...but therefore mostly use still 2x3

...and always puzzled to read that someone apparently gets annoyed because he doesn't understand the answer served to him....

My Flickr