Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Life gets a lot better when you can laugh at yourself every once in a while.

Solitude

BY ELLA WHEELER WILCOX

Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
    Weep, and you weep alone;
    For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth,
    But has trouble enough of its own.
    Sing, and the hills will answer;
    Sigh, it is lost on the air;
    The echoes bound to a joyful sound,
    But shrink from voicing care.

Rejoice, and men will seek you;
    Grieve, and they turn and go;
    They want full measure of all your pleasure,
    But they do not need your woe.
    Be glad, and your friends are many;
    Be sad, and you lose them all,—
    There are none to decline your nectared wine,
    But alone you must drink life’s gall.

Feast, and your halls are crowded;
    Fast, and the world goes by.
    Succeed and give, and it helps you live,
    But no man can help you die.
    There is room in the halls of pleasure
    For a large and lordly train,
    But one by one we must all file on
    Through the narrow aisles of pain.
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    I didn’t say it wasn’t the right answer, I said it was unhelpful. It assumed the answer was obvious, the very fact I asked the question illustrated it wasn’t obvious to me, so the answer was dumb, as dumb as replying ’duh’ in a post. What is this obsession with ’duh’? It’s not actually a word, it merely illustrates ignorance, as does referring to 10x8 as 8x10 as this post has illustrated.

The basic and fundamental purpose of forums is supposed to be the sharing of knowledge, the original response to my question had none of that, it illustrated ignorance alone.
    Referring to 10x8 as 8x10 illustrates ignorance? Wow, I had no idea.

If I encounter a “How long is a yardstick?” thread, I’ll probably just take a pass.

Yep, as I used to say when doing training, "there are no stupid questions....only stupid people."
    In jest of course.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
    ...If I encounter a “How long is a yardstick?” thread, I’ll probably just take a pass.
    My wife has a wooden "stick" that has a 48" long scale; it has a logo imprinted and is labeled a yardstick.

Just for clarification: The British like to designate their cameras' aspect ratios with the long side first, e.g., 5x4 or 10x8. We North Americans and most of the rest of Europe like the small side first, e.g., 9x12 or 5x7. Once that's clear, there should be no confusion and no name calling when someone uses a system that one is not familiar with.

FWIW, when I keep my printing records, I always indicate my print aspect ratios with the horizontal side first. That makes it easy to recognize from the record if the print is portrait or landscape orientation (e.g., 10x13 for portrait, 13x10 for landscape). Maybe the Brits think of their film in landscape and we 'mericans think in portrait?

Best,

Doremus

A yard stick is one you pick up in your yard to hit your brother with.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

After all the answers (the good, the bad and the ugly), did the original poster get an answer that helped, or did he derive the answer to his own question? I'd really like to know.

Peter

I have an artist friend who told me that the vertical should be stated first, followed by the horizontal (in U.S.) That got me wondering whether there is an actual "standard" used by museums and libraries, so I wrote to the Library of Congress and checked the websites of several prestigious museums. They all verified what my friend said. The Library of Congress wrote me a very nice and informative reply. They said the forwarded my question to the Prints and Photographs Division of the Library of Congress, who followed up with this ...

"The guidelines our catalogers follow are from a standard produced here at the Library of Congress called "Graphic Materials: Rules for Describing Original Items and Historical Collections." We make available as a pdf the 1997 edition "Graphic Materials" at: <http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/gm/GraMatWP8.pdf >. On page 49, the basic rule is for dimensions is:

"3D2.1. Generally, the statement of dimension shows the height x
    width. The side for height and the side for width are determined
    with reference to the position in which the image would be viewed.
    Height is always expressed first.

[example]: 1 drawing ; 18 x 14 cm."

The rules have been updated since 1997 (a list of the updates is given on this page: < http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/gm/graphmat.html>.

Most recently, our catalogers have been working with other institutions on a new descriptive standard that is in the final stages of preparation, "DCRM(G)," which stands for "Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Graphics)." A glimpse of what the work entails is available online through their wiki: <http://dcrmg.pbworks.com/w/page/6108102/FrontPage>. I'm not sure whether the rules for providing dimensions have changed much--it didn't appear so from my look at a printout of a recent draft."

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Just for clarification: The British like to designate their cameras' aspect ratios with the long side first, e.g., 5x4 or 10x8. We North Americans and most of the rest of Europe like the small side first, e.g., 9x12 or 5x7. Once that's clear, there should be no confusion and no name calling when someone uses a system that one is not familiar with.

FWIW, when I keep my printing records, I always indicate my print aspect ratios with the horizontal side first. That makes it easy to recognize from the record if the print is portrait or landscape orientation (e.g., 10x13 for portrait, 13x10 for landscape). Maybe the Brits think of their film in landscape and we 'mericans think in portrait?

Best,

Doremus