Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Hi all,

Quick question, I’m using a 35mm dslr and iPad to do lighting tests before using my large format cameras.

Obviously the frame proportion is different on the 35mm dslr so I wanted to set the cropping function on my camera/iPad.

Could someone please let me know the aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4 (I imagine they’re both the same??). I’ve tried 3:4 and 4:5 and both look promising but it’d be good to know which is correct. Thanks

Re: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Uh, 4:5...

Think about it...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Uh, 4:5...

Think about it...
    Thanks for providing probably the most unhelpful reply I’ve received it several years of using this forum!

Let’s hope someone with some useful and informative feedback replies...

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    Thanks for providing probably the most unhelpful reply I’ve received it several years of using this forum!

Actually, I answered your question, and in fact was rather restrained in my post. I could've been derisive, but I was not.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Fortunately you got the best answer right off the bat.

Taking into consideration the film's rebate is not needed in this instance. A bigger challenge, but not difficult, will be matching up the view of the DSLR with the lens of the view camera. Do DSLRs viewfinders 'see' 100% of what goes hits the sensor...or is it less as in the film SLRs? (Which also changed with brand/model of SLRs)
    Last edited by Vaughn; 10-Oct-2019 at 12:12.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Maybe you could explain why 4:5 isn't the answer? is it the masking of the film edges by the film holder? If not, what are you taking into account that would change the ratio of a 4x5 camera to something other than its stated ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
    Maybe you could explain why 4:5 isn't the answer? is it the masking of the film edges by the film holder? If not, what are you taking into account that would change the ratio of a 4x5 camera to something other than its stated ratio?
    I didn’t say it wasn’t the right answer, I said it was unhelpful. It assumed the answer was obvious, the very fact I asked the question illustrated it wasn’t obvious to me, so the answer was dumb, as dumb as replying ’duh’ in a post. What is this obsession with ’duh’? It’s not actually a word, it merely illustrates ignorance, as does referring to 10x8 as 8x10 as this post has illustrated.

The basic and fundamental purpose of forums is supposed to be the sharing of knowledge, the original response to my question had none of that, it illustrated ignorance alone.

I didn’t say it wasn’t the right answer, I said it was unhelpful. It assumed the answer was obvious, the very fact I asked the question illustrated it wasn’t obvious to me, so the answer was dumb, as dumb as replying ’duh’ in a post. What is this obsession with ’duh’? It’s not actually a word, it merely illustrates ignorance, as does referring to 10x8 as 8x10 as this post has illustrated.

The basic and fundamental purpose of forums is supposed to be the sharing of knowledge, the original response to my question had none of that, it illustrated ignorance alone.
    Referring to 10x8 as 8x10 illustrates ignorance? Wow, I had no idea.

If I encounter a “How long is a yardstick?” thread, I’ll probably just take a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
    ...If I encounter a “How long is a yardstick?” thread, I’ll probably just take a pass.
    My wife has a wooden "stick" that has a 48" long scale; it has a logo imprinted and is labeled a yardstick.

This "discussion" clearly illustrates why the Palestinian-Israeli situation will never be resolved.