Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Re: Aspect ratio of 10x8 and 5x4?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    For a different view on the question discussed in this thread, see the November 2021 thread Masking a Ground Glass for Cinema Aspect Ratios

See, in particular, the first post and then post #5 and following. The table attached to post #5 shows aspect ratio applied for the practical purpose of scaling.

I don't see the point of saying that the aspect ratio of a 4x5 sheet of film is 4:5 and of an 8x10 sheet is 8:10 unless one is just being descriptive. I think that it's more useful to express the aspect ratio at its most reduced. This makes clear the commonality of 4x5 and 8x10. I also prefer to express the long side first, which is invariably how it's done for cinema/video and computer displays. As far as I'm concerned, the aspect ratio of 5x4 and 10x8 is 1.25:1. I can do practical things with that ratio, starting with comparing these two film formats and their aspect ratio to others. In the thread above, see the table attached to post #5 and the photograph attached to post #8.
    1.25:1 doesn't easily help you if you looking to print. 4"x5" or 8"x10" or 16"x20" is more convenient to tell you the paper you need. All those measurements are 4x5 ratio times 1x, 2x and 4x.

Drew Wiley

Well, I can explain it all really simply. 10X8 and 5X4 are just 8x10 and 4X5 accidentally turned sideways crossing the International Date Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    1.25:1 doesn't easily help you if you looking to print. 4"x5" or 8"x10" or 16"x20" is more convenient to tell you the paper you need. All those measurements are 4x5 ratio times 1x, 2x and 4x.
    It isn't even mathematics, it's basic arithmetic. If you're shooting one of those formats, and know that you're printing to those sizes, you're presumably past having to think about aspect ratio in the first place.

I'm not suggesting that anybody should change how they think about aspect ratio. I wanted to mask 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film for particular aspect ratios (see the link in post #73), came across this thread, realised that I approach this from a perspective that differs from that of most of the posts and decided to put forward an alternate view. It might be helpful to some future readers.
    Last edited by r.e.; 29-Nov-2021 at 22:28.

Lets see . . . .5/4=1.25 4/5=0.8
    10/8=1.25 8/10=0.8
    7/5=1.4 5/7=o.71

In all sincerity, does this help?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I am not sure I understand the question. Maybe those ratios aren't what you need to know.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I am not sure I understand the question. Maybe those ratios aren't what you need to know.
    I think that it's neat to know that 4x5 and 8x10 share the same aspect ratio. Notwithstanding some of the posts in this thread, I would like to think that nobody is actually going to disagree with that. Beyond that, I don't think that you need to know anything unless you want to scale an image up or down or create an image that has a particular aspect ratio. For the latter, choice of aspect ratio is an aesthetic decision than can be driven by issues like what your subject is.

For example, no doubt you've seen both standard wide screen and anamorphic wide screen films. A standard widescreen image is notably taller than an anamorphic widescreen image. One of the reasons that Steven Spielberg shot Jurassic Park in standard widescreen is that there are dinosaurs in it and he wanted his dinosaurs to look tall and dangerous. Seriously Midget dinosaurs don't cut it. If you want to see the height relationship between a number of aspect ratios, see the thread linked in post #73 above, and in particular the table attached to post #4 in that thread.

If all you're doing is shooting 4x5 and deciding what standard paper size to print it on, you already know what the options are and I wouldn't worry about this.
    Last edited by r.e.; 1-Dec-2021 at 16:49.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post

I don't see the point of saying that the aspect ratio of a 4x5 sheet of film is 4:5 and of an 8x10 sheet is 8:10 unless one is just being descriptive. I think that it's more useful to express the aspect ratio at its most reduced. This makes clear the commonality of 4x5 and 8x10. I also prefer to express the long side first, which is invariably how it's done for cinema/video and computer displays. As far as I'm concerned, the aspect ratio of 5x4 and 10x8 is 1.25:1. I can do practical things with that ratio, starting with comparing these two film formats and their aspect ratio to others. In the thread above, see the table attached to post #5 and the photograph attached to post #8.
    typically people only reduce it to the smallest whole numbers, with a bit of rounding off if necessary, since that's the easiest to work with.

I just noticed that this thread is many yeasrs old. Does the OP care anymore?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I just noticed that this thread is many yeasrs old. Does the OP care anymore?
    See post 78; it seems to still be true.

But where are plate sizes. aspects, ratios, rules, examples

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_early/...hy_-_sizes.htm

When did Metric sizes emerge

Expiring minds must know