Thread: Please post your Manuals & Resources on Building your own Large Format Camera

Please post your Manuals & Resources on Building your own Large Format Camera

Hi Community. I am curious on what it would take to build your own large format camera. I realise there are a variety of styles and materials to choose from. I would like to dive into a bit of reading regardless of style and materials, so please post whatever links, books, videos or other resources you might have that relate to building your own camera.

Between here and there

Re: Please post your Manuals & Resources on Building your own Large Format Camera

The first link I found (way back in the 90's, I think) was this: https://jongrepstad.com/building-a-large-format-camera/ - still good.

I don't have the confidence to build something like this, and I don't have any tools either, but one can dream ...
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Re: Please post your Manuals & Resources on Building your own Large Format Camera

My first attempt to build a ULF camera used black foam core reinforced with hobby wood glued in corners

A one shot pinhole, using X-Ray film installed in the Darkroom. No holders or GG needed

A camera is a box, with cost overruns from mission creep

The second camera is always better and so on

Plan on making several iterations
    Tin Can

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I've built nine cameras to date and they are all done from looking at pictures of cameras. So I can't help with instructions. I may do something with my last build as it is very nice I feel. It is a reproduction of an Ebony RW810. I built it out of Walnut and Aluminum. Places like McMaster Carr and a place I found for knobs JW Winco are very helpful.

Maybe at some point I'll write something out or make plans available but it is a lot of work to do so. The best way to build a camera is make the mistakes on the first ones and then build another one. The next one is always better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fullsizeoutput_4239.jpg   fullsizeoutput_423b.jpg   fullsizeoutput_423d.jpg   fullsizeoutput_4240.jpg  

Jim,
    Another beauty. I am intrigued by the mirrored level. Are the available,or did you just luck into it somewhere.
    Jim Noel

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Jim,
    Another beauty. I am intrigued by the mirrored level. Are the available,or did you just luck into it somewhere.
    Jim Noel
    Jim, I looked high and low for that part. Ebony uses it on their cameras and they must have made it themselves. I used an antique pill box and attached a small (1/2"x1") mirror inside. I found small bubble levels and epoxied them in as well then screwed it in place. A very convenient part to have and a great idea. This is my finest camera build to date.

Here's a link to my two videos for some of the process: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgD...iuihLk1aViRMVg
    Lots o' work!