Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Epson Scan 2 64 bit For MAC OSX Catalina

New Epson Scan 2 64 bit For MAC OSX Catalina

Having just upgraded to MAC OSX Catalina, I have installed the new Epson Scan 64 bit software.
    First thoughts of the program is "it's horrible"....

It's slow and unresponsive compared to the older 32 bit version.
    Has anyone else tried it on the new Mac OSX and what's your view ?

Re: New Epson Scan 2 64 bit For MAC OSX Catalina

I have not upgraded yet, but tried out the Epson Scan "2" software and have to agree.

At first, I got excited by an updated interface, a bit cleaner looking... and really love that you can do a customized file naming system, that helps a lot so I don't have to rename all my files post-scanning.

However, being someone who does their color correction using the histogram, I've encountered a major issue. Generally, what I always do is go into the "All" histogram channel, use the black picker on the film base, bring the white point near the edge of the histogram and adjust the mid point to where I like it. Then I go into each R, G and B channels and adjust the color to how I like it. Most times, I return to the "All" channel to touch-up on the exposure at the end. In Epson Scan "1" software, adjusting the "All" histogram channel proportionately moves the individual RGB channels, so that your color adjustments are preserved. In Epson Scan "2" software, adjusting the "All" channel sets the individually RGB channels to a matching value, destroying any color adjustments you've made. Below is an example to make clear.

Initial Adjustment
    A 70 1.25 177
    R 65 1.23 158
    G 70 1.13 178
    B 76 1.20 185

Epson Scan 1
    A 70 1.08 178
    R 65 1.12 162
    G 70 1.02 182
    B 76 1.10 189

Epson Scan 2
    A 70 1.08 178
    R 70 1.08 178
    G 70 1.08 178
    B 70 1.08 178

If anyone color corrects their photos with the histogram other than switching software or not updating, would love to hear as well! Also, I did submit a support request to epson and await their response. Hopefully they have some insight besides "try unplugging and replugging the scanner back in."

Because I did not find an Epson Scan software on the German Epson side I paid Vuescan and so far it works.
    Where can I find the Epson SW for Catalina and my Epson 750 Pro scanner?

I received a reply from Epson Support that acknowledges that there is an issue with the histogram...

"I have received word from our team in Japan and they have acknowledged that there is a flaw in the histogram feature. They will make plans to fix the issue, but they could not provide any ETA at this time. They may have more details next week."

To be continued...

Quote Originally Posted by ericmichaelmichael View Post
    I have not upgraded yet, but tried out the Epson Scan "2" software and have to agree.

At first, I got excited by an updated interface, a bit cleaner looking... and really love that you can do a customized file naming system, that helps a lot so I don't have to rename all my files post-scanning.

However, being someone who does their color correction using the histogram, I've encountered a major issue. Generally, what I always do is go into the "All" histogram channel, use the black picker on the film base, bring the white point near the edge of the histogram and adjust the mid point to where I like it. Then I go into each R, G and B channels and adjust the color to how I like it. Most times, I return to the "All" channel to touch-up on the exposure at the end. In Epson Scan "1" software, adjusting the "All" histogram channel proportionately moves the individual RGB channels, so that your color adjustments are preserved. In Epson Scan "2" software, adjusting the "All" channel sets the individually RGB channels to a matching value, destroying any color adjustments you've made. Below is an example to make clear.

Initial Adjustment
    A 70 1.25 177
    R 65 1.23 158
    G 70 1.13 178
    B 76 1.20 185

Epson Scan 1
    A 70 1.08 178
    R 65 1.12 162
    G 70 1.02 182
    B 76 1.10 189

Epson Scan 2
    A 70 1.08 178
    R 70 1.08 178
    G 70 1.08 178
    B 70 1.08 178

If anyone color corrects their photos with the histogram other than switching software or not updating, would love to hear as well! Also, I did submit a support request to epson and await their response. Hopefully they have some insight besides "try unplugging and replugging the scanner back in."

I just received a new iMac, and it shipped with 10.14, which is was I was hoping for, as I didn't want to have all my 32 bit apps dead. I upgraded from a 2009 iMac on 10.10, so I had to run a lot of updates after it transferred all my data. The Epson updater installs Epson Scan 2, but doesn't delete the older Epson Scan, so I can use both for now an upgrade to Catalina if and when I'm happy with Epson Scan 2 (all my other remaining 32 bit apps are ancient things I can probably delete). It also installed a newer printer utility 4, which looks to be much better than 3, so that's an upgrade. In short, if you run the Epson updater, you'll have both to use for some time.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    Having just upgraded to MAC OSX Catalina, I have installed the new Epson Scan 64 bit software.
    First thoughts of the program is "it's horrible"....

It's slow and unresponsive compared to the older 32 bit version.
    Has anyone else tried it on the new Mac OSX and what's your view ?
    I've been using Epson scan 2 a bit because I had to update to Catalina OS X with an Epson V750. It is missing Digital ICE, which I find very annoying. Unless I am missing something? It seemed like the previous software was much better... I also wish you could rotate your selection incase you didn't put the film in perfectly straight.

I have to say, I've used the new Epson Scan 2 and it's certainly inferior to the original. It doesn't have a histogram, it doesn't allow Digital ICE, and it seems to reset your settings with every scan, so you have to go back in and re-tick all the boxes and settings if you've changed anything. I also doesn't seem to have an auto-selection tool for batch scanning without manually selecting multiple frames. I would not suggest upgrading to Catalina if you have the option. I personally decided to get a secondary "scanning only" computer that I plan to run Epson on and Nikon's scan software and keep it at the Tiger install, which seems to be a handy install to have around as it bridges a lot of gaps for older software and hardware. Best of luck to everyone who is unable to downgrade, and hopefully perhaps Epson will fix the new Epson Scan 2 in the future.

Personally stay away from always updating my operating system to the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. I wait till the next version comes out, then update mine to that "last" version. My son always updated his operating system to the latest one as soon as it came out... after continuously having many problematic issues, he no longer does that. Still use a clamshell Macbook with a very older version of PS dating from about the year 2000 for one of my ongoing projects. Images are just not able to be done with newer Operating Systems.

It has the histogram, it's just hidden now. Click on Advanced Settings, then the "Detailed Adjustments" button. It's the third tab on the dialog that pops up.

A tedious and pointless rewrite, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    It has the histogram, it's just hidden now. Click on Advanced Settings, then the "Detailed Adjustments" button. It's the third tab on the dialog that pops up.

A tedious and pointless rewrite, unfortunately.
    Sorry I never replied. I saw this and immediately went to work and never got back here (also posted on APUG and that one kept going of course).

Anyway in the end I found an old Mac running tiger and installed the Epson and Nikon original software and returned the other license because the product wasn’t as good as the original projects by both scanner manufactures. So I’ll keep this computer as a dedicated scanner. Thanks for the help and advice though, the Nikon histogram is just WAY better and more user friendly. And the auto-scan for my bad Kodakchromes seems to work better too. So less fiddling.