Thread: Can you identify this camera?

Can you identify this camera?

Hi there. I just picked up this camera from the Goodwill site and it was listed as "unmarked". I don't have much experience in large format and I just assumed that it's a 4x5 body. I'm not sure where to start looking for info on it since there's no branding. Maybe it's home made? I would really love to use it if I can find an affordable lens. I know "affordable" and "large format" in the same sentence is probably laughable, but any advice would really be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19911912103338csis.jpg   47059262103337csis.jpg   89477172103339csis.jpg   97006722103338csis.jpg  

Re: Can you identify this camera?

I have no idea of the scale, but I'd say this is not a camera, but something that looks sort of like a camera.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thank you, Vaughn. I thought that might be a possibility since I didn't see a way to load film. I do a little wood working and thought I might be able to rig something up if that was the case.

I think the first thing to do is to do a bellows test (to see if they are light-tight). If they are not, then you'd probably be better trying a different camera. But I would look into turning it into a pin-hole camera!

Tape off the back of the camera so no light can pass through it -- black plastic and tape, or whatever. In a totally dark room, stick a flashlight into the camera from the front. You should see no light coming from the camera body and bellows.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

It appears to be one of the display "cameras" that came out of India at least a decade ago. Purely decorative.

Keith

That is why I though a bellows test would be the place to start - if by any chance they are actually light-tight, there is hope for it as a pinhole camera. Some work would have to be done on the back so one could load a piece of film or photopaper in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Fleming View Post
    It appears to be one of the display "cameras" that came out of India at least a decade ago. Purely decorative.

Keith
    Yes it definitely is, they show up in the UK now and again

regards

Andrew

Thanks so much for the info! I think a pinhole camera is the perfect solution! I've actually been wanting to make one anyway and the bones from this would make it easy.