Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help with the first complex lens board I've ever seen

Re: Need help with the first complex lens board I've ever seen

Bah!
    It's NOT the same as a Copal 1, just a tiny bit bigger.
    So I may have to get a ring from S.K.Grimes, for $40.00.

Wish I'd seen this thread a bit earlier. It appears to be a section cut from the front standard of an ICA or Zeiss Ideal camera, you just needed to depress the chrome plated lever and rotate the shutter clockwise slightly to remove it from the bayonet mount. The chrome lever was spring loaded - assuming it's still as designed, someone has really had a good hack at it to mount that section on a larger lens board.

I have a number of those cameras in different formats (9x12, 10x15 and 13x18), the bayonet mount works perfectly on all of them. Don't knock 20s and 30s German engineering!

The mount system on a Juwel was rather different (and the older wooden Juwel cameras are completely different). Quite a few lenses turn up on eBay with the Ideal bayonet mounting wings visible on the back of the shutter, lots of Tessars, Maximars and Protars.

If you can re-attach the bayonet post maybe you can use it as is - remove the screws added later and screw that plate onto a lens board for your camera.

Yes, the chrome lever was spring loaded, and it was easy to depress it and release the "anti-twist" pin. Unfortunately, when the lever was depressed, the lens still wouldn't move at all in either direction.
    I think the DIY mounting interfered in some way with the bayonet mount.

It is just a standard ICA or later ZEISS IKON bayonet fitting for lens/shutter combo's with compur or compound shutters. Most of my ICA's have this same early bayonet fittings. In many cases the little springs are gone. When you push the little lever, you have to turn the whole combo clockwise the get it released.
    Apparently the original black lens board was fixed with screws or iron dowels to the silver lens board.

The early ICA system was later changed by Zeiss, instead of 3 points it became a 4 point bayonet with a lever below the shutter combo whereas the ICA lever is normally found above the combo. Nice to have such a system if you can find the shutters with the 'wings' attached at the back that will fit the bayonet.

Carl Zeiss, Zeiss - Icar 13,5 cm f:6,3 (Allemagne) by Gilles Péris y Saborit, on Flickr

My Flickr

Hi, good evening! I have a similar lens on a Ica Ideal Nelson 225 (150mm tessar f 4,5) and i would like unscrew the lens for using that on Linhof. The problem is that to remove the lens you have to rotate to the left and the upper cylindrical structure prevents rotation. Perhaps not all lenses can be interchangeable? Thanks Mauro Italy

DSC02245 by Mauro Scacco, su Flickr

DSC02246 by Mauro Scacco, su Flickr