Thread: Signing (Kodak Endura) prints

Signing (Kodak Endura) prints

Galleries usually prefer that prints are signed with a pencil. I usually print on Kodak Endura paper. Due to coating I find it hard to sign this paper with a pencil. My options are to use an "archival" pen or a label on the reverse side. The second option seems better to me, because I can sign with a pencil and in case the label falls off it is easy to glue it back. In case of a pen, I do not know how stable the ink will be, though, I think it shouldnt be an issue because I sign on the reverse side that is usually safe from direct light. Anyway, when I do something, I want to do it correctly. The lifetime of a Kodak Endura print according to Kodak is about 100-200 years, therefore I wish to sign my photos so that the signature will be visible during the lifetime of my prints. I checked the Sothebys website and I see that e.g. Gursky signs his photos "on a label on the reverse". The question is: what label should I use? Should I attach it to where the white border is on the other (print) side, or should I attach it to where the print is on the other side? Are there some labels that one can buy, or should I just simply cut out a piece of paper and glue it to the print? What glue should I use then? I am looking for some more standard solution rather than something that would seem very reasonable to me at the moment, but unreasonable in six months. Thanks!

Martin / www.martindrozda.com

There is Stabilo pencil: 8008 Aquarellable which will write on anything including fibre based paper. Only slight snag is that it will smudge if you wipe your finger across it and I think its water soluable. I have some and would not hestitate to use it for prints under glass. If not under glass then maybe not.

labels can unstick.

for permanence get a caligraphy pen and ziller ink. Comes in various colours and will stick to fibre based paper. Use white to sign in dark corner of a print or grey to sign in white corner of a print (mix black and white).

http://www.zillerofkc.com/

I should have said that I live in Europe. I tried various types of pencil, all were easy to remove with fingers. My motivation behind using a label is that I can sign with a pencil; it can unstick but it is easy to affix it again. Probably the only disadvantage is that a label can get lost.

IMO 'pencil signing' is a convention transferred from signing limited editions lithographs, etc. I usually pencil sign the mat and either do nothing to the print or sign it with a pen that will work on photo paper.

labels:

www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/sundries/sundries10.html

or since you are in europe you can get caligraphy supllies where I get them

www.blotspens.co.uk/