Thread: Mounting #5 Shutter in linhof type board

Mounting #5 Shutter in linhof type board

I have a lens in a #5 Alphax shutter that I would like to mount in a linhof type board so that I can use it between my different cameras. However it is so large that while I can machine a retaining ring for it and the board to fit the shutter, it completely covers the edges of the board.

The board will not mount to any of the cameras I own with the shutter in place. Has anyone here faced this problem and perhaps come up with a clever solution?

Thanks,
    Jim

Re: Mounting #5 Shutter in linhof type board

A top hat lens board, but risk of vignetting?

Unfortunately all the top hat boards I can find are a bit too small in diameter to fit the rear threads. The retaining ring threads are 3.117" x 30 tpi.

As long as the diameter of the rear glass is smaller than the diameter of the baffle of the board you can have a machinist create a 1/2 inch "ring" which has the back 1/4 inch the diameter to fit the board with appropriate threaded bolt holes to attach from the back of the board and the front 1/4 inch of the ring the diameter to appropriately fit the retaining ring with appropriate bolt holes to attach from the front of the ring. This would give 1/2 inch extension to the bellows length. The ring looks T shaped from the side.

Bill, there isn't enough room for screws but I can thread the board and screw the ring directly to the board and then screw the shutter into the ring. Should work really well, thanks for the help.

Jim

Wouldn't a simple spacer work? Something to keep the body of the shutter away from the lensboard by enough to be able to mount the board on the camera/adapter? Of course, the shutter-barrel threads would have to be long enough...

Best,

Doremus

So will the retaining ring fit inside the FS cutout???

Also remember with the Linhof type boards, the lens hole height is usually not centered, but a little lower... And will the large sized shutter fit on front of the camera without obstruction???

Steve K