Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: October 2019 Portraits

Re: October 2019 Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by thicktheo View Post
    Great stuff, Deardorffuser! Could they use +1 stop of light, maybe?
    maybe maybe ))

Calumet Cambo
    Portra 160
    165mm Steinheil Munchen Doppelanastigmat Unofokal f/4.5

Cool, if click through to flickr and enlarged even I can see the eyes, nose and lips are in focus

Like!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Cool, if click through to flickr and enlarged even I can see the eyes, nose and lips are in focus

Like!
    Thank you! It was a bit difficult shooting that day. She didn't quite understand how the camera and focusing worked so for a lot of the photos she adjusted herself between the fine focus and putting the film in haha. Was also hoping to play with harsh shadows and it ended up being an over cast day. But we just rolled with it.

Models,

Can’t live with them

Can’t live without them

😎
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by SoulfulRecover View Post
    Thank you! It was a bit difficult shooting that day. She didn't quite understand how the camera and focusing worked so for a lot of the photos she adjusted herself between the fine focus and putting the film in haha. Was also hoping to play with harsh shadows and it ended up being an over cast day. But we just rolled with it.
    I almost never have this problem, and I work with kids. :-)
    But what I do is first explain to them how I and the camera works, and then how we are communicating troughout the shoot.
    So the kids Always know which step I am taking at what time with a single word I give them.
    And when I am about to load the film I just repeat: Hold still, hold still, hold still,... taking shot: 3, 2, 1,.... badabing badabang.
    Ofcourse it does happen really sometimes they move a little bit, but that is not abnormal.
    I think I need to readjust more because I move some part of the camera (Intrepid camera: not that tight or sturdy sometimes)

My sheepish attempt at one of my first portraits on LF

Fujinon W 150mm @f/32 for 2 sec on Fuji HR-U Green Xray
    6.5 x 8.5 inches

Would really appreciate critique and feedback!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RmPortrait-Lo.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	196417
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RmPortrait-lo.jpg  

Hi, Jahanzeb. This is an engaging portrait, and a great beginning!

Not knowing exactly what you had in mind, and with inadequate experience in shooting portraits in LF, I will simply note a few aspects. I find the blank light area at upper left distracting. All those visually active edges in fairly high contrast (white against medium/dark gray) draw the eye. Second, I find the blur in most of the leaves problematic. Since the one at lower right shows the DOF, the others appear to have been moving, at least those extending back to the plant's center, where the DOF runs out. If possible, I would return to try some additional poses here; I think there is a lot of potential.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Emilie
    13x18 cm paper negative--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Hi, Jahanzeb. This is an engaging portrait, and a great beginning!

Not knowing exactly what you had in mind, and with inadequate experience in shooting portraits in LF, I will simply note a few aspects. I find the blank light area at upper left distracting. All those visually active edges in fairly high contrast (white against medium/dark gray) draw the eye. Second, I find the blur in most of the leaves problematic. Since the one at lower right shows the DOF, the others appear to have been moving, at least those extending back to the plant's center, where the DOF runs out. If possible, I would return to try some additional poses here; I think there is a lot of potential.
    Thank you Philip!
    I will get another shot with the sitter, but I am limited to 4 exposures as I only have two film holders. The blank space on the left is rather distracting, I am contact printing and will see if I can manage to burn in some details, get the texture of the wall and balance it out. Thank you for pointing out the leaves, it was rather windy and my untrained eyes would have never noticed how they may effect the image.

I had hoped to capture the unruliness of the sitters hair and connect it with the wildness of the plant behind him, which is also why I felt a high contrast image may add to that effect. However it wasn't well planned out, luckily I get a chance to approach it again and will definitely keep in mind all you pointed. Thank you and I really appreciate the feedback!