Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new Tri-X 8x10 film

Re: The new Tri-X 8x10 film

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    ...The main +2007 manufacturing change was using some tabular grain instead some cubic, with less silver they obtain the similar density for the same exposure.
    Not correct, on the basis of the best available information.

It does use aspects of sensitising & layered dye technology in common with the tabular films & that is a likely cause of confusion - and longer fixing times in some situations. I would strongly recommend C-41 or similar fixer.

I thought the changes in Tri-X in 2007 were the result of Kodak erecting a new building for a new coating line. I have a memory that the new system introduced enough changes to require about a one-minute extension in developing time. Hopefully, some of you have a better memory than I.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Fleming View Post
    I thought the changes in Tri-X in 2007 were the result of Kodak erecting a new building for a new coating line. I have a memory that the new system introduced enough changes to require about a one-minute extension in developing time. Hopefully, some of you have a better memory than I.

Keith
    It was the move to Building 38's coating machine, and was around 2005. 2007 was when Tmax 400's revision into TMY-II happened.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Not correct, on the basis of the best available information.

It does use aspects of sensitising & layered dye technology in common with the tabular films & that is a likely cause of confusion - and longer fixing times in some situations. I would strongly recommend C-41 or similar fixer.

interneg, the microphotographs of tri-x referred in the link you point, Making Kodak Film, page 20, are of the pre 2007 Tri-X version, foot note states 5063 emulsion, data is from a 2015 doc but emulsion is the old 5063.

The micrograph for TMY is of 2007, but TMY-II was released in October 2007, so we don't know if it's TMY or TMY-II,

...what is clear in that Tri-X microphotograph of the section is of the old version.

"Kodak reengineered all of their films, including Tri-X, reducing the silver content and replacing it with increased color-dye sensitization, and semi-flattening the silver grains." 2008 edition of The Darkroom Cookbook, I don't if this is stated also in the previous editions...

Thanks for all of the input. Admittedly, my experience with the new tri-x is preliminary at best, and my evaluation was based on only three pieces of film (as I was only trying to get a feel to see how the older emulsions held up in storage). I should have mentioned that the developer I used was pyro PMK formula. Maybe that's pertinent as well. Suffice it to say that I will go on and shoot more film and do some testing of them.