Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A refrigerator for storage

Re: A refrigerator for storage

I stopped refrigerating film about 8 years ago. I was getting odd marks on the film. I try to use the film now before it goes bad. I never thought refrigeration did anything good for B&W anyway. Certainly did not keep old film from fogging.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I stopped refrigerating film about 8 years ago. I was getting odd marks on the film. I try to use the film now before it goes bad. I never thought refrigeration did anything good for B&W anyway. Certainly did not keep old film from fogging.
    Yes ground radiation is a real issue over time.

Frost-free freezers do not raise the temperature of frozen items above freezing (if at all) during the de-frosting cycles.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Interesting, how do you package your film? I tend to freeze in double plastic bags (with film inside a triple box inside of that), feels safer and less likely to have humidity problems than the fridge.

If I were in your situation, I'd buy something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Hi all,

Last week I got the message from my partner that our refrigerator is for vegetables and not filmboxes.

So I’m looking out for a small hotel refrigerator.
    When looking at the internet I have found several models, but they all have none or a small freezer compartiment. I live in Belgium

So is this important, i’m buying normal only Kodak Ektar, Kodak Porta and Ilfort. These are now quite easy to get. And normally I have 5 boxes of each ready.

Thanks
    Consider a small to medium sized chest freezer; it can be used for both film/paper and for storing frozen food goods. For example, taking advantage of sales, you can save money long term by storing frozen meats.

This is what I did, when my wife made similar observations. We now use the chest freezer more for food storage than for film/paper.

A refrigerator for storage

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Consider a small to medium sized chest freezer; it can be used for both film/paper and for storing frozen food goods. For example, taking advantage of sales, you can save money long term by storing frozen meats.

This is what I did, when my wife made similar observations. We now use the chest freezer more for food storage than for film/paper.
    The issue with that approach is that every time I open it to get my Velvia 50 I see the chocolate ice cream first and end up forgetting about the film.

Just kidding. If one has space that’s the best option. I use a beer cooler that just keeps a uniform temp of about 45F. I don’t personally buy enough to deep freeze. I just don’t want it to get to 80F every day for hours during the summer, or even 90F if I’m out for a trip or something, so that gives me peace of mind.