Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Very neat artice by the New Yorker on Thomas Joshua Cooper

Re: Very neat artice by the New Yorker on Thomas Joshua Cooper

[QUOTE=mmerig;1524628]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post

Thanks for the clarification; I confused your response with mpirie's post #49.
    By the way, I am familiar with Mark Klett's work, mainly the "Third View, second sights".

I have a similar, ongoing project in NW Wyoming, with about 190 scene repeats so far, and will likely finish up with about 250 scenes, 85 of which are second-view and third-views. The second-views (first repeats) were from George Gruell's work in the late 1960's and early 1970's.
    Sounds like an engaging project and lots of work. I saw one of the pair's of images you shared, it's always interesting to see what does and doesn't change. Have you been able to utilize technology to help you find the point of view of the original images? I tried to obtain a copy of Second views it was too expensive for a used book. I guess there is always the library.

[QUOTE=Andrew Tymon;1524709]
    Quote Originally Posted by mmerig View Post

Sounds like an engaging project and lots of work. I saw one of the pair's of images you shared, it's always interesting to see what does and doesn't change. Have you been able to utilize technology to help you find the point of view of the original images? I tried to obtain a copy of Second views it was too expensive for a used book. I guess there is always the library.
    Mark Klett has a website http://thirdview.org/3v/rephotos/index.html for his Third View work, but you probably know about this.

Often, I use Google Earth to help me find the camera station/stand-point, but I usually know the approximate location beforehand. I transfer the stand-point location to a topo map, and sometimes I'll enter the point location on a GPS if I think I will be in thick trees. Google Earth can also help with time-of day, but I can usually guess this with shadow direction and length, and make sure i am there early. Also, I print the original photo at 9.5 inches on the long-side, and use a grid on a transparency that overlays the photo that matches the grid on my ground glass. The matching is usually approximate, as I use a wider-angled lens to make sure I capture the entire original image, and often the format ratios are different. I do some estimations in my head to adjust for the differences. I am usually within 5 feet of the original standpoint. Centering both images is important. Another option is to use a digital camera and a laptop/pad and scanned original image to make sure the location is correct before using the film set-up (or just use the digital set-up). I did not do this for cost and weight reasons. Many of the standpoints are in remote areas and my pack is big enough as it is, and having expensive digital gear along (which I don't have anyway), especially when using unpredictable pack stock, was too risky.

Here is an example showing the original scene, a re-take, and the Google Earth version.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...29#post1298129

The Tripod Holes thread has some repeat photography, and I will add some images now and then.

The local LA Times art critic's take on the show(s). https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-wirth-gallery

Like I said, his Art is actually internal

we are bugs on a wall
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

The LA Times review doesn't inspire me much either, but it does mention Hiroshi Sujimoto, who really deserves credit it seems for coming up with the genre of minimalist seascapes etc which have been so frequently mimicked. And I wouldn't demean the power of bugs on a wall. Once the rainy season starts up here, I'll have to contend with bugs on my own walls outnumbering me 15,000:1, and that's after my wife eradicates the first 20,000 little invaders.