Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Very neat artice by the New Yorker on Thomas Joshua Cooper

Re: Very neat artice by the New Yorker on Thomas Joshua Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post

At the end of the day, the article mentioned in the OP was just that.....an article about a photographer. What we don't know is how much of what was written was (or was not) told to the writer by the photographer.

It may be that none of the contents were passed on from TJC, but as someone who has followed TJC for many years, i do recognise many of the anecdotes.

It's unrealistic to expect TJC to monitor and correct all writings about him......i know that he does not frequent social media or even use email......so it may be that he is relatively "blind" to many of these types of articles.

Regardless of whether we believe everything that is published is accurate, we must appreciate and recognise that this article has brought a great photographic talent to a much wider audience.

Mike
    Did you read the article? The author, Dana Goodyear uses the phrases "He said. . .", "He told me. . . ., Cooper told me" and other indicators of a direct conversation with TJC many times. The photographs of TJC are from a New Yorker photographer, and Dana clearly traveled with TJC along the California coast while interviewing him.

TJC may not be bothered with looking over articles about him, but he admits in the article that he has had a very limited audience, so it's not for an overwhelming burden of interviews that he would pass on an inspection.

All of my experience with journalists, in print and TV, has been good -- they always get the message across, and the quotes were accurate. I think that Dana Goodyear would do a competent job as well, and her reporting is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Truth is important to most. After Sputnik, I was identified as scientist material and put on that path forcibly. Post HS I rejected my potential employers. Raised in MN, I spent most of my free time outside in all weather. We made boats, we sailed Gitche Gumee, a stern mistress as I learned. Hunted and fished for food while camping in 4 seasons. Childhood.

No 'art' allowed, seen or heard. Yet, I was creating at an early age in secret. As adult I worked the longest in science based test laboratories, 30 years as foreman at night so we could get something done outside the babble of technical fools.

I also became interested in arcane science as a believer in transformational metaphysics over time.

I am very careful with truth and respect explorers of all territories. Elon Musk for one.

Sometimes I bring folk with me.

As for 'documenting' with LF, isn't that exactly what photography does? I made a document that was not popular this year. 2 minutes to Midnight posted in the '2018/2019 8X10/11X14 Print Exchange begins today' LFPF thread.

I consider it my best Truth this year...
    Sorry to hear about your not-so-good experience with scientists; I have had my share as well.

I get what you mean about documenting with photography. An X-ray is documentation, and could be quite interesting to a few people, but not to most others. Lately, my work is more like X-ray photos, and not very artistic. I may post a few anyway -- some are quite scenic from the wilds of Wyoming, re-takes of scenes photographed a century or more ago. Matching tripod holes and lighting to meet scientific objectives.

Yes, I read the article several times and enjoyed it.

I focus the shiny ball of Science, my problem lies with appropriation and control.

Today participating, OCT and Ophthalmology in the Age of Artificial Intelligence.

We do live in interesting times.
    Tin Can

I waited for my issue to come to read the article. I finished it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cooper's images remind me in many ways of Minor White's work. Cooper does cite White as an inspiration, but the connections to places and human exploration make Cooper's images a bit more accessible, or maybe relevant, to my literal mindedness. It is kind of funny that I would like to say they are more grounded, except of course, there is very little ground to be seen.

I received my copy of " The World's Edge" today. It's a hefty volume and the printing way better than "Refuge". There are about four essays and lots of pictures, some I have never seen before. Overall I'm pleased. I got my copy through Amazon and was cheaper than the recommended price.

That's good to hear Andrew.

My copy is on it's way too.

Mike

I think you wil be pleased Mike.

Yep, my copy arrived earlier today and the print quality is much better than Refuges.

Mike

Where was it printed?

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Yep, my copy arrived earlier today and the print quality is much better than Refuges.

Mike
    Tin Can