Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Very neat artice by the New Yorker on Thomas Joshua Cooper

Re: Very neat artice by the New Yorker on Thomas Joshua Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    The new one I ordered is called “The World’s Edge” published by Prestel just this September. When I receive it, I’ll try to post a comment or two about it.
    I'm waiting for my copy too. I'm a bit apprehensive as the publisher is Prestel the same one who did refuge. I hope it's nothing like their previous effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    When you look on Amazon for books by TJC, you find a lot of monographs for someone accused of feeding the New Yorker writer a lot of BS. I'm not familiar with his work (other than images I have now found via Google on the internet, some of which I have liked and some not so much), and am working through the video bit by bit (2 hours at one sitting is more than I want to devote to staring at my iMac) but to the extent we can judge someone by their output, he seems to be the real thing.
    Gosh, I wish volume of output and truth were always positively correlated.

But that does not mean TJC's books cannot be interesting, especially if they are mainly pictures that speak for themselves.

What does 'truth' have to do with art?

Is fiction ever truth?

Does every story have to be verifiable?

Some here and elsewhere believe the photographer, is that wrong?

Gosh, I wonder what you are really saying!

Is the New Yorker news?

Quote Originally Posted by mmerig View Post
    Gosh, I wish volume of output and truth were always positively correlated.

But that does not mean TJC's books cannot be interesting, especially if they are mainly pictures that speak for themselves.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 6-Oct-2019 at 06:45. Reason: IS?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    (?)I don't BS. Imply that, and welcome to my Ignore list. Hopefully you were not. It always amazes me how dazed urbanites can be about rough n tumble outdoor lifestyles that are quite predictable to a different demographic - maybe not big view cameras in their packs, but things equally adventurous. But if someone does appear gullible "around the campfire", somebody is going to accommodate them.
    No implication, but rather a definite yes, at least once in a while, on some topics that I have experience with.

I don't mind being on your ignore list, although it is hard to see how you would benefit from this, as you would not be aware of comments you might rectify.

Regarding the dazed urbanites, maybe that was just a general denigration, but I don't even live in a town, never mind a city, but you live in San Fransisco. The Teton Range is just to the east of my home, and there are plenty of world-class adventurers around here, so i know what they could be up to. Sometimes i go along with them.

Drew Wiley

I don't live in SF, never did. I worked there briefly a long time ago. And you just relocated to somewhere downtown in my Ignore list. I don't keep grudges, so it will be temporary. Then you can move back to Jackson Hole, which has a population about a thousand times larger than where I grew up and held property most of my life. Don't get me wrong. Wyoming and adjacent southern Idaho (where you apparently are) are stunning. I just don't care for the touristification of the Jackson area itself. Reminds me of Mammoth out here, or Park City in UT.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 6-Oct-2019 at 16:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

Is fiction ever truth?

Is the New Yorker news?
    I am saying pretty much the same thing you just did.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I don't live in SF, never did. I worked there briefly a long time ago. And you just relocated to somewhere downtown in my Ignore list. I don't keep grudges, so it will be temporary. Then you can move back to Jackson Hole, which has a population about a thousand times larger than where I grew up and held property most of my life. Don't get me wrong. Wyoming and adjacent southern Idaho (where you apparently are) are stunning. I just don't care for the touristification of the Jackson area itself. Reminds me of Mammoth out here, or Park City in UT.
    Although you may not see this reply, I have never lived in Jackson Hole, so i cannot "move back there". I don't mind being on your ignore list, and I am sorry about getting your residence wrong -- the SF Bay area versus SF itself. Jackson has been a tourist town since the early 1900's; it's just a lot bigger now.

My responses may have been somewhat cryptic to at least some of you, and I am sorry for that.

Maybe this post will clarify what I am trying to say, why I am saying it, and finally end this part of the discussion.

First, my profession and background is in the sciences, so I naturally expect sincere attempts at the truth when it matters. I don't think it matters for art, but do think it matters for claims of new knowledge or actual experiences. The New Yorker article had a lot of content about experiences -- namely travel, geographic discoveries, etc., and even used the phrase "new knowledge".

Second, my work and leisure time takes me into many remote areas, so I know a fair amount about travel in such areas, including first ascents in climbing, and first descents in skiing. Many years ago I had a job rigging and fixing sailboats, which involved some sailing to test and deliver boats, but I am hardly an expert sailor.

Most of my photography has a documentary purpose and is work-related, so I rarely post images on LFPF because the images would be boring to just about anyone with an artistic bent. The images are in other public domains, so people see them that way.

As to Tin Can's recent questions:

Not much, if any

Is fiction ever truth?

Not usually, except by rare coincidence

No, but those that seem to be a true account of something should be verifiable, if the story is important enough.

No, but it would be wrong for me to believe some of what he is saying, based on my experience and judgement.

See above.

Is the New Yorker news?

Some of it is, some of it is entertainment The TJC article was a profile article. The author mainly has to put together an engaging story and present the quotes, or paraphrased statements, correctly. It's up to the reader to make their own judgements about it. Someone PM'd me about this, and it makes sense; I have been the subject in several media articles, and this was the process in my experience.

Why did I even start posting on this? Simply put, some of the statements, and the lack of internal consistency in the story, struck me as outrageous or ludicrous. That was my take on it. As a scientist, it is hard not to look at things logically and rationally, just as an artist has a natural sense of aesthetics. After the fact, I know it may have been insulting to those that know TJC, but still, that was my reaction.

Now that I know that the truth is not important to everyone, I will think twice before posting about anything that involves the truth. Think twice, post once, that will be my guiding principle.

Thanks to all for your patience, and by the way, I plan on getting one of TJC's books, the one about Shoshone Falls.

I think you will enjoy Shoshone Falls, it's beautifully printed and a homage to Timothy H O'Sullivan.

At the end of the day, the article mentioned in the OP was just that.....an article about a photographer. What we don't know is how much of what was written was (or was not) told to the writer by the photographer.

It may be that none of the contents were passed on from TJC, but as someone who has followed TJC for many years, i do recognise many of the anecdotes.

It's unrealistic to expect TJC to monitor and correct all writings about him......i know that he does not frequent social media or even use email......so it may be that he is relatively "blind" to many of these types of articles.

Regardless of whether we believe everything that is published is accurate, we must appreciate and recognise that this article has brought a great photographic talent to a much wider audience.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mmerig View Post

Now that I know that the truth is not important to everyone, I will think twice before posting about anything that involves the truth. Think twice, post once, that will be my guiding principle.,,,

Truth is important to most. After Sputnik, I was identified as scientist material and put on that path forcibly. Post HS I rejected my potential employers. Raised in MN, I spent most of my free time outside in all weather. We made boats, we sailed Gitche Gumee, a stern mistress as I learned. Hunted and fished for food while camping in 4 seasons. Childhood.

No 'art' allowed, seen or heard. Yet, I was creating at an early age in secret. As adult I worked the longest in science based test laboratories, 30 years as foreman at night so we could get something done outside the babble of technical fools.

I also became interested in arcane science as a believer in transformational metaphysics over time.

I am very careful with truth and respect explorers of all territories. Elon Musk for one.

Sometimes I bring folk with me.

As for 'documenting' with LF, isn't that exactly what photography does? I made a document that was not popular this year. 2 minutes to Midnight posted in the '2018/2019 8X10/11X14 Print Exchange begins today' LFPF thread.

I consider it my best Truth this year...
    Tin Can