Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you found exotic developers worth it for 8x10?

Re: Have you found exotic developers worth it for 8x10?

I suggest testing developers with small format films, even with just a snip or full rolls, as the higher enlargement ratios will reveal greater information during enlargement of what is happening on your film...

Find image characteristics that you like, and then try your sheet film...

I also make my developers from scratch, and the series of tests and developers made a huge jump in the quality of my negs... But it started from 35mm snip tests...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I suggest testing developers with small format films
    Yes... this allows easy wide bracketing and later developing different test rolls at different N, so we have a matrix of results made cheap and fast.

Let me add:

Another source of information is https://filmdev.org/ , hundreds of film/developer/processing combinations. There is scanning/edition in the middle, so information is not raw enough, anyway it's a very good preliminary information that may help to pick what we are to evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I suggest testing developers with small format films, even with just a snip or full rolls, as the higher enlargement ratios will reveal greater information during enlargement of what is happening on your film...

Find image characteristics that you like, and then try your sheet film...

I also make my developers from scratch, and the series of tests and developers made a huge jump in the quality of my negs... But it started from 35mm snip tests...

Steve K
    Understand completely where you are coming from Steve K. The peace of mind of ensuring an optimal outcome from a series of input variables however cumbersome or challenging it may turn out to be keeps some people up at night and is a complete non issue for others. It is one of the great things about this country in the sense that we can choose whatever course of action we feel most comfortable with. Thankfully we still have many quality analog materials to work with. Life is good.