Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

A quick update: I replaced the wheels yesterday. The ones I bought from McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/2337T22) fit fine and were a very similar hardness to the orginals, but didn’t rotate well when the bolts were tightened down. I replaced the bolt and added a locking nut, and now seems to rotate fine. I am not sure about the permanence of the nylon locking nut.

I am still struggling a bit with the leveling feet. The thread is 5/8" with 11tpi, and the whole thing is about 6.5" long. To replace all four with knobs isn't cheap, so it will likely be the last thing I do. Next week might be cutting time!

The club sounds good!
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 14-Oct-2019 at 21:07.

Great news Peter!

One piece at a time is one of my favorite songs.

I see the RT is not that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    We should start a club, including a secret hand shake, of course. I'm going to pick up one of the stands this weekend. Hopefully it's complete!
    Tin Can

Got it. It looks in pretty good shape. It hasn't been assembled in many years, and so hopefully, it's complete.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Everything is off the shelf SAE

The posts should go on the base only one way, paint as witness marks.

and you have helped assemble mine, so, I expect few real problems

Do you need to cut the posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Got it. It looks in pretty good shape. It hasn't been assembled in many years, and so hopefully, it's complete.
    Tin Can

They're about 8.5 feet tall, which would fit in my studio, but they won't fit through the door, which could be handy. It would be nice to be able to roll the stand out of the door if needed, but I'm going to get everything working and use the stand a bit before making a decision. Looks like poor weather until the weekend, and so I'll plan to strip the paint from the columns outside on Saturday. The columns have leveling set screws. I'll have to see if I can figure out which way they went on the base.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Congratulations Peter, did you get the stand on eBay? I remember seeing one nicely priced somewhere in the midwest.

I cut my columns on Saturday. It was much easier to do than I thought. My maximum height was to fit into a double door I have in the studio. I used two pieces of masking tape to mark it, leaving a channel between for the cut. I started the cut with a hacksaw (about 5 minutes of sawing per column) and then once it was opened used a jigsaw and metal-cutting blade (about 10 minutes) to finish the cut. I evened it out and removed burrs and sharp edges with a file.

It was little harder to get the columns on the base correctly. My columns were marked L and R, but the base wasn't marked. I assumed that L and R were relative to the rear of the stand (ground glass side, so L would be the US "drivers side"), but after fitting them on it was obvious that they were on wrong and the the directions were relative to the front of the stand (subject facing). As Randy writes, the paint shows wear on the front where the rollers move up and down, and the chain attachment fits on the rear and on the inside on the columns.

It also took a bit of finagling to get the camera platform on the columns. I had to loosen the bolts holding the columns onto the base to get the wiggle room I needed. I used 4x4s to hold the columns and base off the ground, and then jiggled the platform on. The dampers (mentioned above) were tricky to fit in, as they kept falling out as I jiggled the platform. (Next time, flip the whole thing over, and have the dampers on the bottom of the tubes held in by gravity, rather than on the top). Once on, I tightened the columns on the base... Next weekend are the chains and weights!

Great progress! Yep, I bought mine off of Ebay from a gentleman in Iowa.

Didn't make as much progress this weekend as I'd have liked, but I did measure to see the column height that'll go through the doors of my studio.

FWIW there is a Deardorf Studio Stand on the Quad cities Craigslist. No affiliation. Looks like needs a good home.

It has one.