Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

I love the upside-down! Can't wait to do that.

Here’s a weird one, the rollers on one side were corroded, so I removed them to give them a good brushing. The rollers fit on an axle, which is held in place by two hollow ended screws. See the picture.

When I pulled the axle out, two little pieces of nail fell out. It looks like somebody had put them in to prevent the axle from shifting around. I found the exact same thing on the other axle too.

So, when reinstalling it, do I:

1) Put it back exactly the way it was, with the nail bits holding the axle tightly in place
    2) Put it back without the nails, screwing it in a little tighter, but having to leave a little back and forth play in the axle.
    3) Replace the axle with new material, which is the right size.

Thanks!

I never disassembled that area. Mine move smoothly.

I suggest using a powered wire brush wheel to clean all the parts. Then your option 1 with good thick grease on all moving parts except the cone outer surfaces, perhaps a wipe of oil on them. Mine were aluminium, if yours are sintered brass they could be cooked in oil like we do with bushings.

If reinstalled in the same locations use the same factory adjustments. The cones act as guides and need to be a bit loose.

The upright posts are factory aligned when welded to the mounting flange and are not perfectly parallel. Yet good enough, if replaced in they 'home' positions.

Getting the cones to all stay in their places when sliding the camera platform assembly onto the posts can be fiddly. The grease will help to keep them in position. 2 old men are handy here.
    Tin Can

I put a few more hours into it today. While I appreciate the usefulness of two old men, we unfortunately only have a middle-age man and a teenager.

I pulled outriggers off today, and examined the wheels and levelers. All four wheels were seized up, and a couple of them were loose on their axles, and it seems like the rubber shrunk over time. I took them apart, brushed and soaked them, and ordered a new set of four hard rubber wheels from McMaster Carr.

Only one of the four levelers were intact. I have all the knobs, but the part at the end which contacts the floor is missing from three of them. It seems to be a soft metal, maybe lead? Any advice on replacing these? I’m not sure how to replace these, or if it’s even necessary.

Finally, I replaced the felt on two plates which after a lever is turned press in to contact the pipes, I imagine they work to prevent it from rattling and moving around once the height is correct. I just used some industrial felt I had, with contact cement. Hopefully it’ll hold.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1610.jpg  
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 7-Oct-2019 at 07:43.

Great progress!

McMaster is the source!

I doubt a leveler foot is lead. I always use mine, for 2 reasons. First they make the the whole camera very steady and shake free. And I level the camera side to side with them. I keep at least one 9" level on the platform at all times. I find I move the camera fairly often.

There may be a solution off the shelf I didn't need or find.

My leveler hand knobs were mixed with 2 missing. One was like yours and one was Bakelite. I replaced all 4 with NOS Bakelite from McMaster Carr. They are bigger in diameter and easier on my hands.

What part # did you order? I want to change my tires too!

Lastly, I sure would like to know where those aluminum/felt dampers go as I have them but never figured them out.

My S11 came from a pile of two S11 and the guy just picked parts. I assumed those parts don't fit mine.
    Tin Can

A pic of the lever and location would be appreciated
    Tin Can

Looking for new leg levelers like this, but SAE. https://www.amazon.com/Hyever-Adjust...409773&sr=8-10

No more time tonight.
    Tin Can

Thanks for the word "damper," I wasn't sure what to call the part, but damper seems right. Anyhow, here is a picture of the lever, which moves the dampers. There’s one on each side. I don't see them on your stand, so perhaps you were right and they are from another camera.

When the lever is moved, it turns a brass fitting that has (eccentric?) lobes on it that pushes the dampers against the side of the polls. The damper goes on the inside, there’s a square cut out. It’s hard to take a photograph inside, but this is what it looks like if you stick your phone inside.

The McMaster Carr part number for the wheels I got is 2337T22. These are not a perfect match, as they are gray not black, and have a nylon sleeve rather than the iron ones that my original wheels had. I’ll let you know how they fit. My wheels were 3.5" in diameter, about 1.5" wide, and had 3/8" sleeves for the axles.

I will take a leveler to the hardware store next weekend to match the thread on a known thread, and and order new ones. I am not sure how my knobs would work on a new leveler.
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 6-Oct-2019 at 20:33.

Found these: McMaster Carr Swivel Vibration-Damping Leveling Mount
    with Black Cushion and 5/8"-11 Threaded Hole
    6319K38

I have not yet checked the OE thread pitch, but my screws are 0.625 5/8"diameter and 11 TPI seems very common.

I would need to cut off the existing swivel foot with it's mounting post and these would retain the OE height.

There are other options. I need to protect my floors.
    Tin Can

We should start a club, including a secret hand shake, of course. I'm going to pick up one of the stands this weekend. Hopefully it's complete!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know