Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Post the chain pictures for posterity

Congratulations!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Update #?? The stand is working perfectly fine the way it is. Like Tin Can describes, I only need 2 fingers to turn the crank to raise and lower the unit. If it ain't broke leave it alone and make pictures!
    That's the best thing about those stands. You get the benefit of the big solid camera and the stand negates a lot of the drawbacks of weight and difficulty of moving and positioning. It becomes a joy of mechanics.
    -Chris

This is how they are supposed to be. I couldn't find this picture until about 2 am this morning. This is Not how my chains currently run. Mine thanks to my misinterpretation of other pictures go behind or on the opposite side of the idler gears. Still is going up and down fine. I used the original chains, they are Whitney roller chains produced in Hartford CT. The building is still standing waiting for someone to convert to condos. The Whitney fellow was a close relative (brother or son?) of one of the founders of Pratt and Whitney, still in Connecticut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200223_120502 (1).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	202126

This is how they are supposed to be. I couldn't find this picture until about 2 am this morning. This is Not how my chains currently run. Mine thanks to my misinterpretation of other pictures go behind or on the opposite side of the idler gears. Still is going up and down fine. I used the original chains, they are Whitney roller chains produced in Hartford CT. The building is still standing waiting for someone to convert to condos. The Whitney fellow was a close relative (brother or son?) of one of the founders of Pratt and Whitney, still in Connecticut.

Name:	20200223_120502 (1).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	202126
    My chains are going behind this little idler gear. I knew it looked stupid when I did it I just thought I had it right. One of these days I will make it look like this (the way it came to me) picture.

Maybe there is no 'correct' way

Perhaps Deardorff was smart enough to design a foolproof setup!

If the other 496 owners would show up, we could get a quorum

500 were made...
    Tin Can

Well I'm qualified as a fool for the foolproof test. Yeah, this was pretty high end stuff in the day. I'm going to need to remove my ceiling fan. I can't raise the bed more than about 5 feet off the ground before the camera gets in touch with my 8 foot ceiling.

Name:	Resized_20200331_115625.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	202128

My ceiling fan is close to the kitchen, at rear of 'Living Room' aka The Studio with no furniture that doesn't fold

Front porch windows blocked with Autopoles and 9' wide backdrop, old timey ceiling almost 10 feet

I bought this 100+ year wood shack specifically for the big living room and high ceiling. Affordable, i was in a hurry to settle before the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse. My short term goal, to see the 2024 Total Eclipse which is again max right here. Oddly

After buying it, I became aware it once was one room, added onto over the century

I keep my big soft boxes facing up almost touching the ceiling. Keeps them clean, ready and out of the way

Gotta have goals...
    Tin Can

Yay, team!

Name:	Resized_20200331_115625.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	202128
    Tin Can

For those who stumble on this thread...The Deardorff stand is very sturdy, much sturdier than a Century Centennial or the Agfa-Ansco version. When everything is locked down, if you bump into it, you're the thing that moves. The cost of that sturdiness is that it's bigger, and it's harder to roll around.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know