Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Fantastic!

Now check 'T' mine was also missing an 11X14 back, the Deardorf factory back I bought needed 'T' adjusted to RR standard which Richard Ritter did when he made my new RR film holders

RR also installed a Bale/Bail Back, which I like

I made my own GG

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Joshua's back came yesterday. So beautiful. Matches my behemoth perfectly.
    Attachment 215225
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Fantastic!

Now check 'T' mine was also missing an 11X14 back, the Deardorf factory back I bought needed 'T' adjusted to RR standard which Richard Ritter did when he made my new RR film holders

RR also installed a Bale/Bail Back, which I like

I made my own GG
    I've made my own ground glass, probably 30 years back. My Dad was a Rock hound. He had the magic dust. I started with some white stuff, I think it was aluminum oxide. It was taking longer than my young self, got out the carbide, that was really fast. The carbide worked OK for light tables etc, but it was too course. We (My Dad) converted an old 11x14 process type into an 8x10 view camera. He made the back. We didn't have springs, I was trying to figure out what to do, this is pre internet. I stopped back over to the house. Dad had made wood springs out of some strips of hickory. He made a bail/bale out of wood too. It worked great. I used that back on my 11x14 Folmer and Schwing before I got my V8.

Circling back to say that I have pushed back the move while I have new steel treads welded to the seven step staircase leading down to the basement. The old treads were rusting out and no longer safe. I'll update with pictures in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Another stand without a camera! No worries, I am sure you will find something big and heavy

As for Dusty, no word yet about his trip to the basement

We hope he made it safely

Good to know

Safety first
    Tin Can

Success : )

In prep for the move, I bolted a pair of 2x4's across the posts at the top to facilitate supporting the stand (something to hold on to) and also to help keep the posts stabilized while moving it.

I had two additional men helping to get this monster from the garage and down a flight of steel stairs (recently re-welded for safety).
    The bottom outrigger positions have been corrected so the short ends now face the subject.

New wheels, new front and rear hand-wheels for tilting the bed ( https://www.mcmaster.com/6033K71/ )
    and new rubber bumpers for the brake posts ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZAELFG/ )

The camera and stand are both healthy and now living in the basement studio.
    Now I have to think about where to put other stuff to make some room down here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s11-camera+stand.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	216113

Name:	IMG_7777.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	216111

Name:	IMG_7778.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	216112
    Last edited by Dustyman; 25-May-2021 at 09:59.

Great news!

My last studio was taller and smaller.

I would reduce bellows raise camera as high as possible and store things under it
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    Success : )

In prep for the move, I bolted a pair of 2x4's across the posts at the top facilitate supporting the stand (something to hold on to) and also to help keep the posts stabilized while moving it.

I had two additional men helping to get this monster from the garage and down a flight of steel stairs (recently re-welded for safety).
    The bottom outrigger positions have been corrected so the short ends now face the subject.

New wheels, new front and rear hand-wheels for tilting the bed ( https://www.mcmaster.com/6033K71/ )
    and new rubber bumpers for the brake posts ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZAELFG/ )

The camera and stand are both healthy and now living in the basement studio.
    Now I have to think about where to put other stuff to make some room down here.

Name:	s11-camera+stand.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	216113

Name:	IMG_7777.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	216111

Name:	IMG_7778.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	216112
    That's beautiful. Looks like another Deardorff portrait stand is lurking in the shadows. I spent all day cleaning. I have photo stuff in every room in our house. What fun!!

Ha, pretty observant. Yeah, that's a P8 portrait camera in the corner showing some ankle. I bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy named Eddie Gunks who has some Youtube videos about studio cameras and stands. My P8 is the one featured in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_-EYM5eFY

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    That's beautiful. Looks like another Deardorff portrait stand is lurking in the shadows. I spent all day cleaning. I have photo stuff in every room in our house. What fun!!

Ah, Edddie Gunks, purveyor of fine optics and camera ephemera.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    Ha, pretty observant. Yeah, that's a P8 portrait camera in the corner showing some ankle. I bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy named Eddie Gunks who has some Youtube videos about studio cameras and stands. My P8 is the one featured in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_-EYM5eFY
    Wow that's cool. Did you get the lens? That's as well preserved/restored as they come. Eddie sounds remarkably like Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad