Was green OE?

No matter, just curious
    Tin Can

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Very good

Was green OE?

No matter, just curious
    I don't think so, the base and uprights were painted black, but there was a lot of cracking and a little rust. I just really like green.

My stand came with the cam like brake on one side, the other has a knob that tightens to lock in place. When adjusted right the table raises and lowers easily. I just use the knob to fix the position, the brake shoe, in my case, I deemed an unnecessary complication to my project.

I cleaned up the original chains. They are Whitney chains from Connecticut, same family as Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines. I have concentrated on not doing much other than cleaning for now. Damn thing is a masterpiece of American workmanship and manufacturing.

The green and gold look ok. Just don't buy red bellows!

Quick update on my camera: Custom Bellows made three new sets of bellows for me. They had the measurements in house, and I double checked them before ordering. They came very quickly, look great, were reasonably priced, and are actually a little longer than the previous (non-OE) bellows which came with my camera. I have posted image of it below, not quite at its full extension of 6 feet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deardorff S11 Extended.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	206470
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 31-Jul-2020 at 15:43.

That's great, Jason. Thanks for the update!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

New bellows, I'm jealous.

I'm about to take possession of a stand which is 82" and will fill in my basement studio. I've only seen pictures.

The owner says it all works except for the chain connection to the base, which will need fixing. See attached picture. Does that male end thread into the female base, or is it simply missing a nut that screws onto the male end from underneath the base?

My fear is that if it is that the threads (either the male or female) might be stripped.

Question 1: If I'm lucky and the threads are intact, how difficult will it be to get that chain down into the hole to comfortably screw it down (or thread on a nut?)

Question 2: If the threads are, in fact, stripped, does anyone have any suggestions how to make that connection work?

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stand-chain.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	212317

You almost don't need to fix it as the chain should be slightly loose at bottom

Helicoil inserts will work well, but practice first on scrap as I don't like removing mistakes

The chains are bicycle single speed pitch
    Tin Can

Thanks. Is the female portion threaded or should there be a nut to secure from below?

Helicoil inserts will work well, but practice first on scrap as I don't like removing mistakes

I would think that there would have to be a nut to secure it from underneath. Otherwise you’d be twisting the chain threading into the base.