Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Can a person send them the old bellows with the frames? Can the frames be reused? My bellows are old and kinda "funky" . I kinda like the look. I have on set of very old unused bellows. These can replace the worst section. IIRC the section of bellows that attaches to the rear of the camera are longer? I may be imagining this . I'm not sure. I've got too damn many projects.
    Yes, I sent in 4 old bellows for samples and to have the frames installed in the new bellows. Just received my new bellows today. If you want your old bellows returned be sure to ask them. I never discussed it so my old ones were not returned.

Roger

Making some progress!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7265.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	204916

Name:	IMG_7268.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	204917

Am missing two of the handles for the leveling feet, and one of the foot parts that go on the bottom of the leveling stud. This thing is going to be death by 1000 paper cuts. But really cool and worth it!

Is that new paint or cleaned up?

Looks nice!

Mine came with 2 leveler knobs. 1 like yours, 1 Bakelite, now 3 Bakelite, 2 new. McMaster Carr had/has them. I need a foot too, never found one

I considered new leveler screws, no real need

I put on new nickle plated bicycle chains and new SS cable

New casters MAY be possible, space is tight with leveler screws

But everything else patina by age

Quote Originally Posted by joshuawhite View Post
    Making some progress!

Am missing two of the handles for the leveling feet, and one of the foot parts that go on the bottom of the leveling stud. This thing is going to be death by 1000 paper cuts. But really cool and worth it!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Is that new paint or cleaned up?

Looks nice!

Mine came with 2 leveler knobs. 1 like yours, 1 Bakelite, now 3 Bakelite, 2 new. McMaster Carr had/has them. I need a foot too, never found one

I considered new leveler screws, no real need

I put on new nickle plated bicycle chains and new SS cable

New casters MAY be possible, space is tight with leveler screws

But everything else patina by age
    This is all new paint. Sand blasted the base parts yesterday and painted green with Rustoleum Industrail Enamel. Painted the gold today and reassembled.

Name:	61420694543__9C6A5E79-6056-4707-9850-B6C223E04459.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	204918

Name:	IMG_7257.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	204919

I shortened the poles today, now need to shorten the cables and find new cable ends. Also need to fine crank handles for table tilt control.

Trying to decide whether or not to refinish the posts. The gentleman I was working with today told me about oil blackening with motor oil.

Making some progress!

The knobs on the leveling screws are 1/4 20. I was able to get all mine back on. One was stripped I used a brass insert and Loctite. For one of the attachment screws that hold the camera on one of the knobs was gone, I used a focusing knob from a 5x7 Elwood, also 1/4 20. Perfect fit right era and very comfortable
    The Gold lettering is pretty from now on that green will be known as "Deardorff Racing Green!"

This is all new paint. Sand blasted the base parts yesterday and painted green with Rustoleum Industrail Enamel. Painted the gold today and reassembled.

Name:	61420694543__9C6A5E79-6056-4707-9850-B6C223E04459.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	204918

Name:	IMG_7257.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	204919

I shortened the poles today, now need to shorten the cables and find new cable ends. Also need to fine crank handles for table tilt control.

Trying to decide whether or not to refinish the posts. The gentleman I was working with today told me about oil blackening with motor oil.
    For one missing handle for the table I used a nice 1950's era crank from a Craftsman saw, I bored it through and fits like a glove.

Maybe this: https://www.caswellplating.com/black...-gal-2824.html

I have no experience with it. I stripped the old paint off of the columns, as is was powdering pretty badly. For a protective coating, I used Boeshield.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The alu sliders will scrape anything off uprights

Mine are OE blacked

I just touch up with 2" magic marker
    Tin Can

Yeah don't paint the uprights. At least not ordinary paint. Mine almost look like very worn bluing of some type. It's worn away where the rollers ride. It's not rusted, decades of patina.

Went with gun bluing solution. It worked well, and the uprights now have a satiny black finish. Will have to see how it holds up to wear. One of the hooks holding my lead weight broke today, but I was able to unthread it. Got the weight cables trimmed to the correct length and reattached to the cable ends.

Need to shorten the chains and reattach to the bottom of the base. I have a dambper/brake lever on one side, but nothing on the other side. There are threaded holes, but nothing in them. Did I see that someone on here had some of those? If you have an extra, I'd be happy to pay. Are the brakes necessary, or is it belt and suspenders once the chains are set up correctly? I think I need to take the platform off again anyway to see if the one damper in place has any padding on it, it seems to do nothing as far as holding the platform right now.

Got some black knobs for the levelers from the hardware store, they aren't fancy but will get the job done.

Here's a picture of the blued uprights.

Name:	IMG_72772g.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	204998