Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

From what I can tell I'm pretty sure that whoever changed the outrigger positions did so accidentally after initially removing them. I am doubtful that the posts were switched. The bottom platform is facing the correct way in relation to the post chains and camera bed, as the debossed "LF Deardorff / Chicago IL" words are facing forward, to be read from the front. Based on images from this and other threads I believe that is the correct orientation. If that is the case (and I hope it is) then the posts and bottom platform are currently correctly positioned. Simply switching the outriggers *should* be putting them back into their original OE places and the bolt holes should, in theory, line up perfectly. Emphasis on "in theory."

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I think Dusty also needs to put the slides and platform back on 180 degrees to get the leg outriggers in the OE position

He could just switch outriggers, but these are all slightly different, the bolts fit snugly in mine

In my last pic I posted, I show a 3/4" socket sitting on a bolt, to remind of my second reassembly mistake!

I forced the bolt and it cross threaded.

Worse, that's my favorite antique Snap-On socket

we await success

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Thank you Randy!

Mike, if you find a good source for the tilt crank please share it! I am missing one on mine too.

jason
    Ditto here. But I have looked at McMaster-Carr's offerings and am sure that one of the through-bore 1/2" wheels will work. Wasn't sure what the original looked like, but from one of Mike's photos I can see that it appears that the platform tilt crank and the elevation crank are the same. (Not that it matters, but as a point of curiosity...)

And thank God for McMaster-Carr!!

I need to ask what this assemblage is all about. I'm sure it's been covered here, but I'm still unclear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeardorffStanddetail.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	215047

In particular, what is the lever for?
    Further, what is the shaft with the crossbar?
    It appears to be a clutch, but I don't fully understand it's function.
    Thanks in advance!

I joined this elite group of the insane yesterday when I took delivery of a Deardorff stand from a fellow forum member. I am just "plum tickled" as we say 'round these parts!
    The uprights have been shortened to 5 feet, which sounds embarrassingly short. But the base adds height. And by the time a large camera is on it, the ceiling becomes a factor. This will reside in my living room and eventually support my 14x17 camera. The house has standard 8-foot ceilings, so I can't use full elevation, anyway. What I lack in height is made up for by massive stability.

This is an awesome thread!! I had put off reading it initially. But with yesterday's acquisition, it became required reading. I started into it earlier this morning. It is now 3PM and I haven't even had breakfast yet!
    Right?? A man's gotta have his priorities!

And speaking of insanity, my seller and friend, Josh, took this photo of the casting at the top of the vertical:

Name:	Happystand.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	215048
    Yessiree, Mr. Stand is indeed happy to have a new home!

But, ohh..., that face haunts me everytime I close my eyes.
    And it's like he has a tic frozen in time...

Another stand without a camera! No worries, I am sure you will find something big and heavy

Bolt it down for upside down adventure

The lever looks like your elevation pipe clamp, the locks vary

Dusty and I have screw locks that just pinch the pipe, saw his in his pictures

I gently hand tighten them when I am really serious, but in reality they are barely needed and not good to forget to loosen before you crank the platform up or down

As for Dusty, no word yet about his trip to the basement

We hope he made it safely

Lastly for others, the upright pipes are standard size, so we can make them tall again
    Tin Can

Forgot question 2

Which crossbar?

Upside down Macro by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Forgot question 2

Which crossbar?
    In my photo, C/U of the mechanism,

Views:	11 
ID:	215049

You see the shaft coming out of the worm gear? (middle of photo) At the end of that shaft (toward the camera) there is a piece of rod crosswise that serves as a handle by which to turn said shaft. It is some kind of a clutch to apparently disengage the table tilt mechanism.

Why?

I am sure you will find something big and heavy
    My 14x17, as noted (see avatar)

Mine was missing that bar, for a while I kept a screwdriver in the hole with rubber band to keep it from falling out

Yes, a clutch/brake which I also don't use too often

Sometimes the platform is at a balance point, which can induce a slight rocking motion, controllable many ways

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    In my photo, C/U of the mechanism,

Views:	11 
ID:	215049

You see the shaft coming out of the worm gear? (middle of photo) At the end of that shaft (toward the camera) there is a piece of rod crosswise that serves as a handle by which to turn said shaft. It is some kind of a clutch to apparently disengage the table tilt mechanism.

Why?

My 14x17, as noted (see avatar)
    Tin Can

Another stand without a camera! No worries, I am sure you will find something big and heavy

Bolt it down for upside down adventure

The lever looks like your elevation pipe clamp, the locks vary

Dusty and I have screw locks that just pinch the pipe, saw his in his pictures

I gently hand tighten them when I am really serious, but in reality they are barely needed and not good to forget to loosen before you crank the platform up or down

As for Dusty, no word yet about his trip to the basement

We hope he made it safely

Lastly for others, the upright pipes are standard size, so we can make them tall again

The camera for William's new stand is sitting in my garage if anyone wants it. Couldn't find a taker for the set, so now we're having a Deardorff yard sale!

Quote Originally Posted by joshuawhite View Post
    The camera for William's new stand is sitting in my garage if anyone wants it. Couldn't find a taker for the set, so now we're having a Deardorff yard sale!
    Just remember the 11x14 back is mine. If you have the rotary back, someone should jump on that. That's what came with my camera, takes any 8x10 accessories including a ordinary 8x10 back.
    After everything is stripped the little pieces are great for missing parts cameras.
    Now that you are internationally famous, people will come to the you

Where is it?

Pretty sure Peter DeSmidt wants it

We could relay move it anywhere in CONUS

Quote Originally Posted by joshuawhite View Post
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Just remember the 11x14 back is mine. If you have the rotary back, someone should jump on that. That's what came with my camera, takes any 8x10 accessories including a ordinary 8x10 back.
    After everything is stripped the little pieces are great for missing parts cameras.
    Now that you are internationally famous, people will come to the you
    Definitely am not forgetting your back, sir! It is going to be on the way today, packed just as good as I can get it!