Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

The longest lens I have is a 14 1/2" Ilex in a big #5 shutter.
    There's a Turner Reich convertible with the camera, the front 2 lens elements came unglued, literally. No damage, I suppose I can clean off the balsam residue and try to re-cement, it's got a 21" rear cell, #4 Ilex Acme shutter that fires on 1/50 s.

I was kinda feeling down the last few days, this is has been a great lift to my spirits. I love this American workmanship it's so pleasing to see and touch. I need to get it home, hopefully this week.

Cheered me up too

I look forward to pictures of the entire camera and a story about it!
    Tin Can

I got the #4 Ilex shutter firing on all speeds. I used Kodak movie film cleaner, trichloro-trifluoro,ethane (CFC-113) , stuff really cleaned it up. Used about 30ml. The lens element that came unglued, I cleaned off the balsam residue with lacquer thinner and a old t-shirt. The lens is looking up. I ordered 1 mL of UV cure optical adhesive.

My wife commented that I seemed to be cheerful! That's what a neat project will do. I'm supposed to get it tomorrow, hopefully it will be above zero F by noon

I feel like it (the camera) maybe sad leaving it's old home. I need to welcome it with a good cleaning

That's great progress! I hope the move goes well. If I was closer, I'd come help. My progress is no where near as dramatic. I hope to spend some time cleaning the studio today, such that I'll be able to use the stand. I'm a bit jealous of you folks with the matching cameras.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Home!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200214_142351_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	200668

Now what!

Good thing it didn't have OE 20 foot posts...
    Tin Can

Ha, yeah I can't imagine shipping these things back in the day. I did a little more research. The building I took this out of was built in 1922, at that time it was on the Lincoln Highway, going through Cedar Rapids Iowa. This was known as Automobile row. This is where all the earliest auto dealers, parts etc. I remember the tail end of these shops in the early 60's. This camera must have come into the building much later, I suspect 1950's.

It was a balmy 15°F when we got this thing off the trailer today. The seller moved it for me, great young guy. I have a great space for it, need to wait until the snow melts. I know several resourceful engineers/car nuts. All I have to do is say it can't be done, and they will be all in.

Camera is filthy but in great shape, Chicago made! I can't believe the casters on that stand, at least 70 years old and smooth as can be. The next week I will be cleaning, and measuring, so far I found two little nut / knobs missing, Omer Hecht at Catlabs has the parts. This is definitely the 11x14 commercial camera, has all the bellows, one section is separate, not installed on the camera, probably leave it that way. According to a Deardorff catalog I have minimum F.L. of the lens is 13 inches. I have a 19" Artar, but I do have a couple of other lenses.

8x10 rotary back which will work perfectly. I have another 11x14 camera if I get that bug. I want to shoot some portraits and some "product shots" of some old family heirlooms etc.

There's a lot of American manufacturing history in that beast. Machinists, Cabinet makers, foundry men, women that did all the detail work...shutters...my oh my. If I was a billionaire I would pay people to keep this alive. I still know a few genuine tradesmen, but harder to find.

There's a big old cast iron sink, original to this building, nickel or chrome plated brass valves. I could have had it, just don't have the energy. 63 and still crazy enough to drag a 400lb camera home

Tin Can

Randy,

My protection software blocks that site because of a trojan virus.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

It is an old design website made by Ken Hough THE Deardorff expert

My up to date Win 10 running Google has no problem, nor my up to date iOS Safari or FireFox Focus on iOS latest

I gave up on extra protection long ago, I do believe in always updating asap
    Tin Can