Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

According to one website, they were made from 1929 to 1965, perhaps 500 total

I usually work with TV on, no sound, with music playing

That broken lifting ear is one of many weak points on the lifting fittings, welding that cast alu may not be ideal

I am sure you and your friends will find a way, the force/lead weight is split by the upper pulley

Here are google pics of parts of S11
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Mine has a brake shoe on one side, locking screw on the other...
    I can't imagine that they went out of factory with two different brakes on it, so someone must have swapped the parts at some point. Regardless, my experience with the stands is that they are very easy to work on, so long has you have time and some help lifting and holding. My first main takeaway is to be very careful of the counterweights and cables. The weights can bend very easily and also do quite a bit of damage to floors and feet. I have been concerned about the "lifting ear" (thanks for the term) breaking. Second, don't run the platform up and down before attaching the chains. My chains got bunched up and trapped in the gears.

I think I was wrong (again) the casting are identical and can be flipped, maybe for lefty and righty folk

They are drilled differently depending on fitment

The chains can be difficult
    Tin Can

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200223_121253.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	201031

Name:	20200223_160143.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	201032

I've put up a couple pictures. My current theory is in the process of shortening the poles, some poor unfortunate set the stand up, the weights went sliding and bam, broke the casting.
    Then they cranked the platform upside down and set the whole thing back on the poles inverted.

I have found part numbers showing LH and RH that are on the wrong side.

I'm certain this thing is on upside down as the table doesn't tilt down correctly.

I'm going to see what my friend thinks. Best solution would be to disassemble and find a fellow that could braze a piece on or fabricate a better way.

Name:	20200223_162537.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	201033

Wow what a piece of machinery! I got the lead weights out without bending them. Holy moley those lead weights are heavy. Now clean and repair a couple things.

One thing at a time.

Name:	20200301_120352_resized.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	201287

This is a great project for our current dilemma with this dammed virus. I have the posts back on, adjusted the set screws so the posts straight and true. Got the table on. Cleaned up the chains, now I'm going to try to get the chains hooked up. I'm really dreading the chains.

It's so great to have these things to keep my mind from dwelling on the virus. I don't go out much at all.

Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Having a bit of time on my hands, I replaced the felt on the stand. "Craft" felt, which is a synthetic and wool blend, seemed too thin and loose for this so I found high-quality 100% wool felt locally (pre-virus) for about $30 a yard. I found a grey-brown felt, but green pool table felt might also be good.

I first removed the camera, turned the platform 180 degrees so the mechanism was on top, lowered the platform as far as I could (worried about what might happen to the counterweights after removing the platform) and used the brakes to lock the height in place. I unscrewed the platform (four bolts and 12 screws) and pulled it off.

I then removed the trim on the side of the platform (18 screws and a few trim nails). For the most part, the felt just peeled off. It had been glued in a few places. The platform itself was 3/4" plywood that looked like subflooring. I don't think mine was original, since it had calculations that had nothing to do with the stand penciled on it. I removed a few random bolts from the platform which looked like someone had bolted something to to the underside of the platform. I was tempted to replace the wood and trim with new, but didn't want to leave the house for an unnecessary trip to the lumber yard.

Anyhow, after scraping, filling in holes, and sanding I repainted the bottom of platform and trim (I used a gloss black enamel I had sitting around). Replacing the felt was pretty easy. I lined up one side, put in a few staples and then with some help stretched tight to the other sides and stapled. Once I was happy with the tightness I reattached the trim (with 18 new, shiny, and surprisingly expensive brass screws), and then used a sharp surgeon's scalpel with to trim the felt. The platform went back on pretty easily.

I still have to replace my cables...