Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

I got the camera off the stand today. Two 3/8" captive thumb screws hold the camera to the deck. They are the same as I see on Tin Can's upside down picture. I got the old lens, convertible working with I believe is 28" just the rear cell. I focused it on a blooming Christmas Cactus in the window, it was huge. This stuff is so amazing. I'm being very careful with the bellows. Just a couple pin holes in corners, but they are dry as the desert.
    I'm going slow, trying not to break something.
    I feel this is a bit of a gift that has been handed to me to preserve. The studio cameras are getting scarce.

The stand is going to be a steep learning curve. It's got the lever with the cam. It's just hanging there, the cam isn't pushing against anything.

One thing at a time.

I have 2 of the cam driven brake shoes for the posts, they are boxed up and going to Peter soon as he has already been promised them

My stand cannot use the brake shoes, but has a simpler height lock

If you strip down the posts and find them missing, perhaps Peter and you can work something out
    Tin Can

Mine has locking screws. I'm just going to see how it works as is. I've got plenty of work cleaning up the camera for now. I know a couple machinists that can make anything, I'm trying to avoid disassembly. I've rebuilt car engines, when you have instructions, shops that can do heads and crankshaft work, parts are available etc.

One step at a time. Camera is in a warm spot, stand is in my attached garage. I've been applying small doses of liquid wrench here and there. You folks have really been helpful. Thanks a bunch. I will be posting pictures. Best Regards Mike

If it's not broke, don't fix it

I got mine in pieces, so it was a puzzle with 2 parts that it didn't need, the brake shoes

Then I had to find 11x14 back, the third bellows frame and I did replace all 3 bellows

I spit polished it only
    Tin Can

I agree with you 100% on the if it ain't broke part. As long as I don't get too assertive I think the bellows will work. They are dry. I'm wiping them with distilled water with, just a little bit of Kodak print flattening solution, about 20ml per 500ml of water. I don't think it will make a big difference?

I have all the bellows but the 3rd bellows section looks like it's not been in since Sputnik. Again I'm trying not to screw something up. Slow and steady wins the race.

There's no way I could put one of these things together from parts.

I need to get some photos of the stand and post for your all collective comments. I think I've figured out most of it.

Mike

If anyone is interested, I will likely be having a new set of bellows made, I can post what I learn here about price. Right now I have to decide on the correct size. Currently I have two different styles of bellows on my S11. All the bellows are about 13.75" x 13.75" internal and 16" x 16" external. The bellows attached to my rear standard are longer and made out of a thick vinyl. The bellows attached to both of my supplementary standards are shorter and are made out of leather (or possibly a thin textured vinyl).

The bellows attached to the rear standard extend to about 29" and have 12 external folds (not counting those attached to the frames) and 13 internal folds.
    The bellows attached to the supplemental standards extend to about 26" and have 11 external folds (not counting those attached to the frames) and 12 internal folds.

Can you share what you have on your cameras? I would love to hear if the bellows attached to your read standard are longer than those in the supplementary standards. Thanks!

I had Turner Bellows of Rochester NY make mine, I think they are out of the bellows business, but you may want to ask. https://www.turnerbellows.com/

I made six all new clear pine frames with I/2-Lap ends dyed flat black, matching OE. Sent them with one old bellows on old frames for sample to copy. I believe my old bellows were made by Deardorff or Turner

They were nailed/tacked on without glue in the exact same manner as OE with Square folds of heavy lined cloth, matching OE in black

All three are the same size and length with 14 folds or 16 with mounting folds

The rear bellows was OE attached with brass screws, I used new slightly thicker brass color GRK screws in the same OE holes, otherwise all OE flip hooks to attach the rest of bellows

My SC11 will extend to mechanical max of 72" plus 3 more inches for GG and lens mount. I use it that way with very heavy 900mm Tessar for macro, normally keep a lightweight 610 Nikon on it with all 3 bellows mounted

I also installed an old 4.5" ID Packard shutter with DIY svnc far enough inside for any lens, it hangs up sometimes, I will replace it with new...one day...

My cost in 2014 for all three bellows was just under $1000 shipped both ways mounted

BTW, Richard Ritter recommended Turner and he made me a back and 5 11X14 holders, about the same time

I have 4 backs, 5x7, 8X10, 10X12 and 11x14 all with my DIY GG

I cut my posts to 7.5 feet which can put the lens at 8.5 feet, the top of the box just touches my ceiling
    Tin Can

and here is an old FS listing from THIS forum

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1032947
    Tin Can

Mike, if you feel like replacing the aircraft cable, I had to buy way too much. I'd be happy to send you enough. It's high quality stainless steel. I linked to it earlier in this thread.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I will check my bellows dimension. I'm trying to not replace my cables. My unit has a brake on one side, and a screw on the other. I'm really trying to not take the stand apart. Everything is working, I need to find a missing crank for one end of the tilt table.
    I will post some photos later today
    Great fun!