Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

I hadn't noticed this reply prior. This looks like a great option that I hopefully won't need, as long as the 3 or 4 threads I was able to grab onto a bolt hold. I'm bookmarking that link though, just in case : )

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yes, 1/8" cable is correct

and Peter, I found my extra cable, that you could have used, if I found it time...

next life
    Tin Can

I'm looking for specs on the original wheels and stem casters. My stand came with replacement locking wheels that don't spin 100% freely.
    I figure McMaster might have suitable replacements.
    Has anyone ordered complete wheel and caster sets?

I'll have to get new leveler feet as well, once I remove the wheels I have.

I ordered new wheels, but not stems... see below. I ordered a set of levelers, but found that the feet I ordered too big. I ordered 3" feet which interfered with the wheels. I think 1" might work and not get in the way of the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    A quick update: I replaced the wheels yesterday. The ones I bought from McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/2337T22) fit fine and were a very similar hardness to the orginals, but didn’t rotate well when the bolts were tightened down. I replaced the bolt and added a locking nut, and now seems to rotate fine. I am not sure about the permanence of the nylon locking nut.

Thx Jason. I did see your post, and your wheels look great, but I don't have the original stem/caster so I'm looking for a complete set. McMaster has a good selection. I was curious if anyone knew the specs ie the stem thread and length and wheel diameter etc. I believe your wheels are 3-1/2 x 1-5/16". Was that a close match to the original?

I ordered new wheels, but not stems... see below. I ordered a set of levelers, but found that the feet I ordered too big. I ordered 3" feet which interfered with the wheels. I think 1" might work and not get in the way of the wheels.

Here's what I think are the original casters 5/8 " stem, 3 inch ball bearing wheels.
    I have tried to load a photo having problems

The wheels I bought were a near perfect match.

I can likely take the measurements if you tell me which you need, here are two:
    • 3 3/4" from middle of axle to top of mounting bolt
    • 2 3/4" from middle of axle to bottom of outrigger, where they mount

I use the levelers and pads with a level on top of rear frame whenever I move the stand

as my current floors shift with weight

In my Chicago studio my floors were very flat concrete topped with unbreakable 1' sg ceramic tiles

So I seldom needed to use the levelers, but grout divots were horrible when moving the rig

If anybody finds levelers with small feet, please tell us all

A machinist could modify the very well priced McMaster Carr items

or we hack off the 3" feet and weld tiny feet with tilt function back on

even I could do that with a MIG
    Tin Can

Jason, I was wondering if you ever sourced proper size levelers that don't interfere with the wheels. All the options on McMaster for 5/8 thread posts are 2-1/2" and up. Those are too wide and will hit the wheels.
    I'm actually thinking of just getting rubber caps for the ends of the posts.

Does anyone know the diameter of the original levelers? I can't imagine it could be more than 1-1/2"