Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

I know you will get it

I have a dim recollection of a cam side flat area

Little by whittle...
    Tin Can

I took apart the stand again, replaced the chains, and it seems to be working fine now. It moves up and down smoothly, and doesn't bind like before. I am not sure how it fixed itself. My original chain did not have removable (press out) links. I decided to replace it rather than fussing with a grinder. I bought three 1/2" x 1/8" standard one-speed chains with 114 links each at my local bike store. Warning: Be very careful about moving the chain through the gears before it is attached top and bottom. I attached the chain to the top first, and then tried to cranked the platform down before I attached the chain to the bottom and created a huge mess. The chain doubled over and caught between the gears. I had to pull the platform off the poles to remove the chain. I won't make that mistake again...

I still need to replace the cables, but that is for another day .

Peter, the damper is made of 1/8" metal, and measures 2 1/8" x 1 7/16. The whole thing at maximum including curve stands off 1/2". The raised portion in the middle is 1" x 1/2", and stands off 1/8".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	measures.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	197577
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 18-Nov-2019 at 18:52.

Yup, that's it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Peter, see the attached measurements. The damper is made of 1/8" metal, and the whole thing including curve stands 1/2". The raised portion in the middle is also 1/8".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	measures.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	197577
    Tin Can

Thanks, Jason! I'm trying to decide between using the 1/8th thick curve I have and adding something on the back, or whether I should try to machine a piece from 1/4" thick stock.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I would certainly try using the piece you already have first. If it fits around the posts I would think it should work well enough with some felt glued to it.

Yeah, I'll try that first before doing any machining. Did you get your camera platform moving ok?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Yes, the platform is working well now, thank you. The posts were not the problem, the chains were too loose.

At this point I still need to replace the leveling legs, cables, and felt on the platform. I am in no rush since the stand is perfectly functional without the legs and felt, and the long cables just restrict the movement of the platform. After that, I have to think about the camera, and have three new bellows made.

jason
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 19-Nov-2019 at 18:44.

I used 2mm leather instead of felt, as that's what I had on hand.

Looking good.

Does it work?

I noticed yesterday I put one top chain in the wrong hole, which makes the cable and chain cross. Easy fix.
    Tin Can

Seems to work ok. Ideally, the leather would've been about 1mm thicker, as there's enough clearance when sliding in the tube. The big worry would be that the shoe would get dislodged from the pocket it sits in and cause binding. It doesn't seem to be a problem, The columns lock securely. Now I just have to decide whether I'm going to strip the paint off the columns or not. Moving on to the aircraft cables. I've never really worked with it. It looks like the connectors unscrew, and then there's a ...pin?... that get pounded down to lock the cable. Any tips?