Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Clever Idea For My 8x10 Camera & Vintage Lenses

Re: Seeking Clever Idea For My 8x10 Camera & Vintage Lenses

Hi, those are all really good and simple observations/suggestions. I like them!! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    Sliding a artboard mask into the filter holder to act as a shutter will be clumsier than the lens cap. Try using a hat as your shutter. A black fleece or felt hat works pretty well - for fleece, make sure it's tightly woven enough to be opaque. It only has to stay on the lens long enough for you to put the dark slide back in.

Find darker subjects.

(I'll go back hiding under the redwoods now...)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    I could go down the path of getting a behind the lens Packard Shutter installed on my Kodak 2D, but I want to explore a different approach first.
    Why a different approach? Are you anticipating specific problems with a Packard?

Rather than doing the fun research for you, let me suggest you look into shutters using such keywords as rolling blind, guillotine, double barn (or swinging) doors.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Lee makes a gel snap filter holder held on with a rubber band like bunches of asparagus and broccoli are bound with---no "hood." I think there are two sizes, one for 3x3 Lee polyester gels and one for 4x4 gels and they'll attach to the rear of your lenses if the rear of the barrel protrudes past the lens board, allowing you to rear mount the filters and front mount a Packard or use the lens cap
    I hope this helps.
    I have two of the Gelsnap holders, one came with an ND kit of 3 filters: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Polyester.html (Amazon has it in stock too, $70)
    And another came with a kit of some B&W filters (red, yellow, one other, can't remember)

Here's Lee's page on the holder, where they specifically mention mounting it behind the lens for LF: http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/...-filter-holder

I have a wide angle hood with 2 slots that I usually use, and I have a Lee adaptor on most every LF lens I use, but I kept the Gelsnap holders, as they are handy.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

SomerRandom thoughtsnot deeply examined yet:

Various in-front of the lens shutters; Thornton-Pickard comes to mind. I see them on e-bay from time to time. Another option might be a front mounted leaf shutter from an oscilloscope lens; also on e-bay at low-ish prices at times.

Neutral density filter(s) to slow down the exposure and a "top-hat" to open and close the exposure.

Inserting a stop if possible for the same result as above.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 7-Oct-2019 at 15:20.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have used a large Packard shutter mounted behind the front standard of my 8X10 camera for may years. I just learn to live with the slow speeds by using slow films and papers. Personally, I rarely use any filters.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Very helpful Drew. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
    I have two of the Gelsnap holders, one came with an ND kit of 3 filters: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Polyester.html (Amazon has it in stock too, $70)
    And another came with a kit of some B&W filters (red, yellow, one other, can't remember)

Here's Lee's page on the holder, where they specifically mention mounting it behind the lens for LF: http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/...-filter-holder

I have a wide angle hood with 2 slots that I usually use, and I have a Lee adaptor on most every LF lens I use, but I kept the Gelsnap holders, as they are handy.

Thanks Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    SomerRandom thoughtsnot deeply examined yet:

Various in-front of the lens shutters; Thornton-Pickard comes to mind. I see them on e-bay from time to time. Another option might be a front mounted leaf shutter from an oscilloscope lens; also on e-bay at low-ish prices at times.

Neutral density filter(s) to slow down the exposure and a "top-hat" to open and close the exposure.

Inserting a stop if possible for the same result as above.

Hi Randy, that is what I have been doing for years, but like I mentioned in the original message, I want to make some silver gelatin enlargements and using regular sheet film makes that a lot easier. I've received some really good ideas from the group here and I have some things on order...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I have used a large Packard shutter mounted behind the front standard of my 8X10 camera for may years. I just learn to live with the slow speeds by using slow films and papers. Personally, I rarely use any filters.