Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where does one get custom ground glass from these days?

Where does one get custom ground glass from these days?

Hi,

I'm just about to get back into 8x10 with my Tachihara field and the original ground glass is starting to get on a bit. There are lots of references online but many of them seem dead - e.g. I e-mail Steve Hopf but got no response. I don't have the tools / space to make my own.

Re: Where does one get custom ground glass from these days?

It's a pity you're not nearer. My delivery of grinding pastes is officially late but if/when it arrives (and after a bit of practice!) I'd have been happy to make you one for the cost of a sheet of glass.
    Unfortunately, the two things made of glass I've had mailed to me both arrived broken so I wouldn't trust the postal system no matter how carefully packaged.
    I also gave away an 8x10 ground glass a year or so ago - but it would be mean to mention your bad timing there, so I won't mention it

I'll keep an eye on this thread and, if you haven't arranged one by the time I get my supplies and learn what I'm doing, perhaps we can organise a bush telegraph to transport one from town to town. (If it turns out that I do a rubbish job of it, it will only have cost you a little patience!)

Very easy to make one on a coffee table while watching a single movie.

I prefer my own and they are far cheaper.

I use picture frame glass from an art or Home supply store which is both thin and thick enough. Locally the glass is $2 and exactly the right size for many 8X10 cameras.

A lifetime supply of grit is $15 mail order.
    Tin Can

Randy's right. It just takes a bit of patience.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yes,make your own. The easiest method is to make2 at a time. Stone polishing grit comes in a variety of sizes. get a medium grit, sprinkle a little on one piece of glass. add a few drops of water. PLace the second piece on top and use a generally circular motion to move the top piece around. Check occasionally to be sure you are covering the whole plate, and in order to know when it is finished to your liking. You will have 2 nice pieces.

You can find glass suppliers who sandblast glass. Get the sizes you want and check with them to get it blasted just before they change the sand for a new batch. Makes very good ground glass. Best of all you can get a number of pieces done at one time for very low cost. Have seen these on 5x7 to 12x20 cameras.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Molli View Post
    It's a pity you're not nearer. My delivery of grinding pastes is officially late but if/when it arrives (and after a bit of practice!) I'd have been happy to make you one for the cost of a sheet of glass.
    Unfortunately, the two things made of glass I've had mailed to me both arrived broken so I wouldn't trust the postal system no matter how carefully packaged.
    I also gave away an 8x10 ground glass a year or so ago - but it would be mean to mention your bad timing there, so I won't mention it

I'll keep an eye on this thread and, if you haven't arranged one by the time I get my supplies and learn what I'm doing, perhaps we can organise a bush telegraph to transport one from town to town. (If it turns out that I do a rubbish job of it, it will only have cost you a little patience!)
    Hi Molli where did you get your magic grinding paste from? I need to make a 10x12 and a 14x17.

Not a grit source but has good ideas for types

http://www.dokasphotos.com/techniques/ground_glass/
    Tin Can

Took me a while to remember

I buy from this guy https://www.willbell.com/ATMSupplies/ATM_Supplies.htm
    Tin Can