Thread: Can you mount any 4x5 lenses in shutters from folding cameras?

Can you mount any 4x5 lenses in shutters from folding cameras?

Just musing, I wonder if there is a possibility that cheap folding cameras could be a resource for large format lens shutters.Are there any shutters to be found on cheap beat up folding cameras that could be used to mount 4x5 lenses?

Re: Can you mount any 4x5 lenses in shutters from folding cameras?

It depends on the shutter and on the lens. The shutter as to be as thick -- tube length -- as the lens requires and its tubes have to be threaded to accept the lens' cells. I have a couple of lenses that fit Compur #00 shutters, harvested a Compur #00 from a 35mm folder for one of them.

I don't know whether you're aware of this site's resources. In particular, there's a stick in the lense section "Where to look ..." The first post in that discussion has a link to a list of interesting links that includes links to tables of shutter specifications. Some of them will help you decide what to look for.

Some old folders have shutters that are #00, #0 Compurs (Compur Rapids usually) and I've even seen some larger folders (usually German-made) that have Dial-set Compurs that have the same threadings as a standard #1 Copal/Compur. So I think the answer is yes, the only caveat though is that most folders that have these standard-size shutters are also the more expensive variety. E.g. German made folders like the Goerz folders, Voigtlanders etc. Very few cheap folders have the "good" shutters.

And old folders usually had limited speed settings, no flash sync, some "simple" ones are very hard to work on, spacing can be off, no press focus, iris's shutterblades made of weird stuff, and usually small...

And it seems a shame to chop up old cameras...

Steve K

Take it from someone who has wasted lots of time and money on such tom-foolery. The answer to your question is NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Take it from someone who has wasted lots of time and money on such tom-foolery. The answer to your question is NO.
    Thank you for your advice, I will close that avenue of thought, I have no time to waste on Tom-Foolery.