Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Advice For Shutter on Vintage Lenses

Re: Seeking Advice For Shutter on Vintage Lenses

Thanks Steve. I would not have even thought of any of your suggestions, so thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    The other thing you can add is a welding helmet plate as a neutral density filter... The glass is good enough for photo use, and are quite cheap (like around $15)... There are 2 densities and if I remember correctly, about 8 or 9 stops... You can make a holder for it...

I bought a bunch last year when a hardware store chain went out of biz for only $2 each, but haven't played with them yet... But I use a ND I made from a round old welding goggle filter that just happened to drop into a 39mm bare filter ring to use with my Leica M + lenses...

Don't forget to allow for reciprocity failure, you will need it!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Thanks Steve. I would not have even thought of any of your suggestions, so thank you!!
    The other more modern option is that heavy ND filters are now sold for digital lenses (for that long exposure blurred sea/sky effect) and you might find one that fits on your lens...

In older days, the heavy ND filters were gel filters or I had to adapt welding glasses, but new ones are now in threaded sizes... But read reviews on different brands as some have a color shift, if you plan to also shoot color...

No problem, thanks for the thank you!!! :-)

Steve K

I wrote an article about using Packard shutters. The camera in the pics in the article is still in use and has made a large percentage of the images on my web pages. The Packard lives inside the camera and is always ready for whatever I hang up front. Very repeatable 1/20th second and you learn to work within it's parameters. That's what they guys did 100 years ago when the lenses were made, and it still works great today.

And since Jim Galli posted I almost forgot about the Galli Shutter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLG3HCDlhk

sinar shutter with a rube Goldberg adapter to your camera (unless you shoot a sinar or horseman)

or

a big ol #5 Betax or Ilex with a set of adapters so you can use various lenses in front of it

that's called 'front mounted' (I think) meaning the back of the lenses are mounted to the front of the shutter - one can then use the lenses aperture.. or..if it doesn't have one or is broken, use the shutters aperture (after figuring out the conversions)

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    I was just thinking along those lines!! I think I am going to order some of the Rollei Ortho 25 8x10 sheet film, rate it at EI 25 and use this for the times when I want the orthochromatic emsulsion and then use your suggestion of doing a ND filter with FP4 which is a film I use frequently. Excellent tip!!
    Carestream EB/RA x-ray film is fully orthochromatic, single sided and has a notch code. My EI for it is 100. about $1 per sheet delivered.

Hi Jim, thanks for the link. Very helpful. I am a big fan of your work and visit your website often for inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I wrote an article about using Packard shutters. The camera in the pics in the article is still in use and has made a large percentage of the images on my web pages. The Packard lives inside the camera and is always ready for whatever I hang up front. Very repeatable 1/20th second and you learn to work within it's parameters. That's what they guys did 100 years ago when the lenses were made, and it still works great today.

What camera do you have now?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know