Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8x10 Polariod Portrait Prices ???

Re: 8x10 Polariod Portrait Prices ???

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    Some pre shooting with digital wil be done to assure the set up.
    You may make a calibration that converts the dslr shot to the pol shot, that kind of proofing would help to custom illuminate each subject for his/her skin/face. If not changing ISO (and etc) in the dslr then that proofing would be accurate enough, anyway you may also do the proofing in small polaroid formats.

To me a better icing for the cake is regular film + fb print. I allows a degree of flexibility to refine the job in the printing, but YMMV.

Points of reference & maybe food for thought?

Why start a thread if you have a sitting fee already determined?

A 20x24 Polaroid (true Polaroid) portrait is about $1K when they used to bring the big camera around. 3 years ago, a true sitting (10 exposures) was $3.4K - for a much more novel (and, to the discerning buyer, ego-gratifying) format. https://www.popphoto.com/watch-this-...-20x24-studio/

Something to think about. Is the value in the instant print? If so, what's the competition (Instax wide? Tin type?)? What's your materials cost vs. labor time vs. marketing expense? 8x10 instant film isn't cheap, and how is the product consistency these days?

How will you market & get traffic / leads? Where are you planning to work - on location? In your own studio? Do you have access to a darkroom or dark tent? If yes to the latter, have you thought about tin type or the HK Direct Positive route? Contrast w/ those papers can be reduced by pre-flashing. Jay Clendenin and comes to mind with direct positive paper: https://fstoppers.com/film/la-times-...thletes-141185.

Louis Mendes is the quintessential instant film street shooter: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/ph...t-photographer.

You'll have to rise above the novelty of the medium to be able to make a profit at this, the work has to be really good, and you'll need to reach people who are willing to pay - if you have those 3 big things handled, this could be a lot of fun.

Good luck - not for the faint of heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I think it can be hit or miss, but some of my stock from 2014, processed, and looked fine. Doesn't mean the box beside it will do as well though. With these films, all one has to do is check the pods to make sure they're not dried out.
    I trust that the OP will share with his clients what is known about the stability of *processed prints* made with the Impossible/Polaroid Originals integral material.

first is that pols are for dark storage, not for display, and even in dark storage...

The RC base itself can be problematic http://resources.conservation-us.org..._09_Wagner.pdf

... then we have the chem inside the print, because the print is not whashed.

sometimes old technology is better: tintype!!!! also way cheaper !

Sorry.

Perhaps we are imposing 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde cautions similar to what what happened when the novel was first published.

Additionally I still like my 40 year old Polaroids just as they are. They were not carefully stored and I only got them back after my first wife's funeral.

memories...

Encouraging artistic experimentation is far more difficult than discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I trust that the OP will share with his clients what is known about the stability of *processed prints* made with the Impossible/Polaroid Originals integral material.
    Tin Can

I am very sorry about your sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    Sorry.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I shot 8x10 Impossible at Burning Man in 2016. The prints turned orange to sepia over few weeks in dark storage. 3 years later they are somewhat stabilized but they are stored in the dark and I don't believe these will last when exposed to display conditions.

The current crop may be better but after shooting 5-6 boxes in 2017, I've given up on this particular instant film design. Surface is too shiny, hard to scan and the ever-changing visual aspect doesn't make it something I can use for my flow.

YMMV,